Looking for some advice

Guest lexluhta

Guest lexluhta

Hi, we're looking for some advice from people who've experienced the move to Oz and the benefits if any they felt?

Mt wife and I both 38 (plus two boys 4 and 6) have done fairly well so far in life working ourselves into decent positions since both serving apprenticeships on leaving school. She a partner in a succesful hairdresser and myself a Line Manager in an sales office in an engineering firm.

Problem is, everyday is a battle due to kids being dropped off to child care / school, getting to work on time, and the reverse at the other end of the day. Because of work commitments it's extremely difficult and stressful to do what you know is best for the kids and still keeping the boss happy. I've just been given a minor promotion, but they want more out of me..........couldn't sleep for worry after it.

In short we've had enough.

We know we could sell up here and what we make on the house could gett something pretty nice over there (no mortgage worries). But what we fear is that we'd just move the same work problems over with us and we'd be no better off.

What we want is to take the foot of the gas far as our work commitments are concerned, certainly with maybe only one of us working so as to be able to enjoy with the family, the outdoor life and all the Oz can offer.

Is it difficult to obtain jobs that will sustain a similar standard of living as in the UK and what is the attaitude to work like over there and average salary expectations.

I'd appreciate if anyone who left for similar reasons could offer advice or on how's it panned out etc.

ANY OTHER GUIDENACE GRATEFULLY ACCEPTED

PS Apologies for length of post :oops:

Hi,

Reading alot of the posts, house prices in Aus are experiencing a similar sort of boom that the UK had a few years ago, and few people can actually be mortgage free in Aus. Cost of living is apparently the same as UK (unless your a visitor and have got a good exchange rate) but generally wages are lower than here.

I guess, if you work anywhere, there is always the the possiblility that it will get ontop of you at some point or you won't be happy.

This sounds like a negative post but it's not, we're due to migrate in January, we will both still work, and will have to sort out childcare, we will have to consider a mortgage which is similar to the one we have here (although may be for less years). But what we are looking forward to it that the time we're together as a family will be spent outdoors together etc.

There are lots of posts on here to browse, and I know the people already there can give you realistic ideas of what to expect. We actually decided after visiting Australia last year - if you havn't visited it may be worthwhile, to see if it's what your looking for.

All the best

Ali

Guest lexluhta

Many thanks for the reply,

I guess there's no such thing as an easy life anywhere, but like yourself, we're looking to spend some quality time together outdoors, something which is pretty hard to achieve all year round in sunny Aberdeen :roll:

However, we had assumed, possibly incorrectly that the standard of living was higher..not necessarily wages, but what you get for them?

some more research required I guess

Cheers again and good lick with your move :wink:

Guest spray21

It depends on what you use to calculate standard of living. Although some things cost less, you also get paid less (compared to your sterling salary), so you will probably be able to 'buy' a similar lifestyle there as you can here. However, if you value warmer weather and a more outdoors, active lifestyle then you may find that for you life is better there.

You may be able to have what you consider a nicer house for a comparable mortgage, or a similar house for a smaller mortgage - although prices in Oz are apparently rising (I'm sure someone will tell me there's no apparently about it!) I'm sure they are still much cheaper (or maybe better value) than property prices in the UK. Have a look on realestate.com.au.

The climate & the lifestyle available will vary dramatically depending on which part of Australia you go to - a reccie trip might be a good idea.

To get an idea of jobs available, try seek.com.au. It won't always give salary for each job, but sometimes does.

Be aware that the move itself can be extremely expensive - selling up at this end, possibly renting in the interim, storing possessions, then shipping them, shipping pets if you have them, then supporting yourself at the other end whilst hunting for jobs - some people take a LONG time to find work, probably depending on what they are prepared to do. I have heard of some people though who claim they would do any job but still can't find anything - so be prepared for it to be an arduous, stressful & exhausting experience!

(Having said that, for some people it is worth it, or this forum wouldn't exist! Personally, I can't wait to get out there next year!)

Hi M8,

we are here and the lifestyle change alone is worth it I can tell you, I spend all weekends with the wife and kids at the beach or exploring different area's around us.

Both of us had to work in the UK, not here. I bring home around $3500 a month and we have a good life style, always beer and wine in the fridge plenty of BBQ stuff, in my opinion better quality and better value for meat, fruit and veg, bread is pricey so make it yourself.

Rates (Council tax) is much cheaper and includes your water rates, phone is cheaper than BT pricing, Broadband is a little more expensive, petrol is cheap but not to them (lol). Clothes, electrical items all much the same, cars are exspensive as they last longer here, no mots every year just a roadworthy cert on sale, road tax is more expensive but includes third party insurance.

I had a three bed semi in the UK and a 90k morgatge, I have a good deposit to put down here but will still have a $200 - $300 morgatge, which is about the same as I had in the UK BUT I will have a 4-5 bedroom house detached with 2-3 bathrooms and a pool, but when you think most first time buyers in OZ now have to get $300k morgatge minimum you will still be ahead of the game here.

Its not all a bed of roses, they work hard and play harder, so the weekly routine is much the same but at least you can enjoy your weekends.

Bottom line is, what a future for your kids m8, my boys 7 and 9 love it here and are alive now and not couch potatoes anymore..........

Give it some good thought, go to some trade expos and try and get sponsored to come over as having a job from day one makes life a bit easier going, one less hing to worry about as there are plenty.......

hope that opens your eyes abit m8, best of luck

Matt

Guest ohippychick

We've just bought a house and the mortgage repayments are the same as the one we had in the UK that we wanted to get away from !! Doesn't help that hubby is on half the money and I'm now not working.

BUT, we have a better lifestyle. In the UK hubby was working 12 hour days 6 days a week and slept or vegged all day Sunday. Here he works 10 hour days 5.5 days a week and we spend loads of time together as a family. We all sit and eat an evening meal together (unheard of in the UK) and hubby gets to see the kids during the week. Then from Saturday lunchtime onwards we're out either to the beach or visiting the hundreds of places we want to visit. You can do a day on a beach with a bbq for absolutely no cost whatsoever except a bit of sunscreen (which is much cheaper). No charge for parking, no charge for the bbqs, no charge for anything. In fact last weekend we spent at the Mandurah Childrens festivl and all of that was free - bouncy castles, stalls, shows, displays, large goody bags, drinks, craft, pony rides. You could tell the British as they were all stood around in awe, mouths wide open, not being able to get their head around the fact that they didn't have to pay for parking or, indeed, anything. :D

Guest lexluhta

I'd like to thank everybody for their replies!

We've a bit of soul searching to do, giving up decent jobs / money but need to change lifestyle!

Your input has been invaluable :wink:

One final question, approx what are you looking to pay for a house over there? I guess it'll vary from state to state and what would you get for it i.e 3 bedrooms ? Pool 8)

Guest ohippychick
I'd like to thank everybody for their replies!

We've a bit of soul searching to do, giving up decent jobs / money but need to change lifestyle!

Your input has been invaluable :wink:

One final question, approx what are you looking to pay for a house over there? I guess it'll vary from state to state and what would you get for it i.e 3 bedrooms ? Pool 8)

We've just bought a place for $507,500. No pool but plenty of room to put one in and we can hear the ocean from the garden. It's a 4 x 2. We did look at quite a few around the $420k to $480k mark for a decent 4 x 2 but hubby wanted something with character !!

Here's the link

http://www.elders.com.au/branch/listing/listing.php?realist_id=217804&branch_id=469

Guest The Brooks

sorry to but in, but your house looks lovely ohippychick, what sort of deposit do you have to put down on a house price like that, we are not coming over with mega money and may struggle to purchase for a while after all the resettlement costs.

so it would be good to know what is needed

thanks in advance

sam. x

Guest abeattie

Hi all,

It really depends where you live as to the price of houses, we live in the western subs of Melbourne which is a very up and coming area. We recently bought our 4 bed single storey house for £275,000 again no pool but enough room to put one in.

As regards to work, my hubby worked sooo much overtime in the Uk for us to have a good lifestyle, he now works a 37.5 hour week and very rarely does any overtime (as he does not need to) I dont work either at the moment, our lifestyle is much better than the uk, I think you just need to have an open mind and look into the area's you want to live in.

Hope this helps,

Best regards,

Angela & Sean

Guest ohippychick
sorry to but in, but your house looks lovely ohippychick, what sort of deposit do you have to put down on a house price like that, we are not coming over with mega money and may struggle to purchase for a while after all the resettlement costs.

so it would be good to know what is needed

thanks in advance

sam. x

It all depends on what type of work you do. If you are 'employed' then it's usually 20%, but can be 30%, 40% or 60% depending. My hubbie is a self employed brickie but we managed to get an 'employed' mortgage cos we used a very good broker :D

Guest The Brooks

Thanks ohippychick

my husband is an electrician and will more than likely be employed.

thanks for your advice

sam. x

Archived