IELTS Query

swtpm15

I have attempted IELTS Academic once and obtained at least 7 for all 4 categories and have used the result to obtain skills assessment.

However, I would like to improve my results to at least 8 to get 20 points.

Can I go for IELTS General? I already have my skills assessment and only need it for Skillselect for the additional 10 points.

Any comments on the differences between General and Academic?

Thanks.

Yes you can take General IELTS for the points.

Listening and speaking are the same for academic and general.

Reading and writing are just more complex, I am sure you can find some online samples to see why. It is a bit hard to explain.

That depends on the person really but I found IELTS Academic to be easier. I can't for the life of me write silly letters in the writing task. Also, academic version has fewer reading passages but are a bit harder so if you have good comprehension you can finish the academic section quicker.

If you are trying to improve scores in Listening and Speaking then it wouldn't matter which version you take. However, if you are trying to improve one of the other two then I would probably do some practice tests to find the one that easier.

Hi Swtpm15 this is my experience sat academic test for my skills and got desired results 2nd time but I struggled with the reading so knew it was very unlikely to achieve over 8 for ponints therefore I took the general for visa points and found this a breeze, from my personal experience I would never sit the academic test over general if I had a choice , desired results achieved 1st time in general and bagged my points and didn't waste no more money on trying to re-sit academic for score required good luck in whatever choice you take Loulou x

Using metaphors, idioms (try avoid banal over-used ones) and generally just being descriptive by means of using vivid language will display a high level of spoken English.

Also, try and be as natural as you can... so if you don't know an answer to a question, or have no opinion on it - say that and explain why.

I recall in my first spoken interview, I was asked whether I think that a government should influence the prices of food... or something to that effect. I had no opinion on the matter, so just said exactly that - but I backed it up by qualifying that I'm no economist and that I don't fully grasp the ramifications of the free market system and what would happen is the government interferes.

Alternatively, if another testing body is a viable option for you, then this might be of use to you:

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/231707-ielts-v-s-pearson-test-english-academic-pte-academic-my-personal-findings.html

Thank you supercow, that was helpful.

I remembered being asked a question about museums previously, something which I didn't have an interest for, so I was struggling to tell a story..

I'm thinking of giving PTE a go too.

You must talk, regardless of whether you are interested in the topic. They were not testing your knowledge of museums. I was asked about gardening which I don't like, so I said I don't like it, that I have a gardener come round every fortnight, that anything I try to grow dies etc etc.

Archived