Dog health supplements

Jessthegirl

Hi Forumites,

I would like to bring in with me a couple of things I currently use for my dog, her toothpaste and Yumega Plus oil (fish and plant extracts).

I can can see that you can buy the Yumega brand oil in Oz but not the Plus version.

And with regard to her toothpaste, I can't find the same brand, Virbac.

Is is anyone able to help provide guidance on this, short of me trying to find out the AVPMA for a list of banned active ingredients. I'm just asking as I would like to bring a couple of spare tubes so I can tie myself over for the first few months until I can find something similar and she likes in Oz.

thanks

J

Guest The Pom Queen

We do have virbac here, send them an email to see who stocks the toothpaste http://www.virbac.com.au/home.html

You find a lot of Aussies prefer to give bones than use toothpaste.

is the Yumega for skin or joints? You could try this one http://www.naturalanimalsolutions.com.au/omega36&9-oil-for-dogs-horses.html

Going back to if you can bring them in the answer is yes as long as it is no more than 3 months worth anything over that they look at it as you are a commercial enterprise.

It is the same with human vitamins, but make sure to keep them sealed.

​​​All therapeutic substances, foods and dietary supplements must be declared on arrival in Australia. Many of these products must be accompanied by an Import Permit. Further certification or endorsements may also be necessary and the Import Permit will outline these additional requirements. For specific details, please refer to the Import Conditions Database prior to import.

• Foods derived from animals, micro-organisms or partly processed plant materials, such as dairy drinks and muscle-building drinks, are a quarantine concern and can only be imported if they meet specific import conditions.
  • Oriental herbs and medicines may contain prohibited materials. These substances generally require an Import Permit.
  • In general, any synthetic substances - that is, completely man-made substances such as aspirin - are not a quarantine concern. Sufficient documentation should be available to prove the synthetic nature of the material.
  • Commercially manufactured and packaged therapeutics are permitted entry without an Import Permit if they meet the following requirements:
    • the article is for human therapeutic use only, and
    • the product is imported into Australia (whether personally or by post) by a person who intends to use it for their own personal use, and
    • the product is commercially prepared and packaged (eg. capsules, tablets, vials for injection, liquid, powder*, ointment, etc). This includes commercially packaged probiotics eg Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium spp., and
    • the product is imported in a quantity to provide no more than three months supply.

Three months supply can be determined by:

• the label dosage advice, or
  • a letter in English from a medical practitioner, naturopath or alternative health provider, or
  • a statutory declaration by the importer stating that the product is for personal use only and is less than three months supply.

* Consignments of products containing ganoderma, bee pollen or slippery elm bark must be in capsules, tablets, vials for injection, liquid or ointment form to be exempt from the requirement for an Import Permit. Products containing ganoderma powder, bee pollen powder or slippery elm bark powder must be accompanied by a valid Import Permit.

• Commercially prepared vitamins, minerals and amino acids are permitted but must be declared on arrival. These goods may be inspected.

All of these goods must be declared and will be inspected by Australian quarantine officers.

More information about importing therapeutic substances can be obtained from the Therapeutic Goods Administration. There are limits to the amount of foods and dietary supplements which can be imported for personal use. The Australian Customs Service can supply information on banned substances.

Hi, the supplement which is a blend of fish and seed oil, keeps her coat healthy and joints supple. There are loads of brands on the online pet shops in Oz that do the plant type Omega oils but you still need the addition of fish oil for the missing Omega number - I can't remember which. If you have a dog, try it, you will notice a huge difference in a couple of weeks. Also and sorry to be gross, but their motion improves tool.

Do she eat dog biscuits ? There is a brand called Black Hawk it has Emu Oil in it, great for joints and gives a lovely shine to a dogs coat. All Aus made.

We feed RAW Chicken necks and have no teeth issues at all. Buy in bulk far cheaper, we buy a full box then weigh out portions and freeze them, taking one out each evening to thaw for the morning.

When we got our little dog from the dogs' home they said they fed the dogs raw chicken necks or raw chicken wings so we give him either one of those every day. His teeth are excellent. His other meal is dry biscuits.

Would never feed can food, smells bad and I dont like all the preservatives in it. Nothing like fresh food. I give a 1/4 lambs heart once a week for a bit of red meat, and like you he gets biscuits for dinner.

Would never feed can food, smells bad and I dont like all the preservatives in it. Nothing like fresh food. I give a 1/4 lambs heart once a week for a bit of red meat, and like you he gets biscuits for dinner.

Our last dog (cattle dog) had eczema in patches over her tummy area which cleared up when we stopped giving her tinned dog food. She wouldn't touch raw meat so she was fed dry biscuits only. She was a healthy old thing and died just before her 17th birthday.

• 1 month later...

Just like the food we consume we don't always know what is in it. I think the same applies to dogs and any other domestic animal. I feel terrible for not having considered it before, but I am going to get my pups some vitamins too for strong bones, joints and shiny coats! Wish there was something besides brushing and combing their coats to prevent all the hair left around the house - but it is a choice I made :)