My husband has had cancer

Jo36

Hinim new my name is Jo I'm 36 my husband is 39 and have two girls 11 and 4 .

inhave one question hopefully someone can help.

6 years ago my husband had thyroid cancer after 2 operations and radiotherapy he is now "clear" he still going to the Royal marsden for a yearly check but all seems good thank good . My question is can this stop us from moving to Perth? Thanks for reading ?

6 years ago my husband had thyroid cancer after 2 operations and radiotherapy he is now "clear" he still going to the Royal marsden for a yearly check but all seems good thank good . My question is can this stop us from moving to Perth? Thanks for reading 

Hi Jo

Firstly congrats on your husband beating cancer... great news....

The medical is naturally designed to look for major conditions that would be expensive to the Australian government. Cancer is clearly one of these, however as you say, your husband is clear. I believe, that the Australian government look for a cancer patient to be clear for 5 years (albeit this is from a thread on this site a few months ago).

What I would suggest is you contact DIBP and ask what they look for in granting a visa to someone who has previously had cancer. I would also do the same of the UK health authorities who provide the medical on behalf of the Australian government.

I believe you will have a good chance of getting a visa as so much time has passed, however as the visa process can be quite expensive, then I would certainly check first....

Good luck to you all.... fingers crossed for you...

You're considered clear after 5 years in Australia. So you might not even get a request for further supporting info during the medical. If you are requested to provide supporting info (the Dr. at the medical provides you with the info and the paperwork), you have 28 days after the medical to get that info submitted.

I was only 2 years clear at the time of my PR application, and it was successful due to a positive outlook with a good report from my medical team at that time.

Wow thanks for everyone's advice it makes me feel a little better for the whole process . My husband and I started the paper work for the move just before he was diagnosed so had to put it on hold and now had another child since then . We left it on the back burner until now really so thanks again for all the advise

Guest The Pom Queen

6 years ago my husband had thyroid cancer after 2 operations and radiotherapy he is now "clear" he still going to the Royal marsden for a yearly check but all seems good thank good . My question is can this stop us from moving to Perth? Thanks for reading 

No it won't stop you, I was petrified that I would fail and stop us moving, they did refer my medical but that was all. Unfortunately my cancer came back with a vengeance but I can assure you that if that ever happens to your husband as long as you are in a big city you will be fine. Please try not to worry and please reassure your husband that you will stand by him whatever, I know this probably goes without saying but I just remember how I felt.

George Lombard is the agent to go to when you have medical concerns. Huge hugs :hug:

Hi thanks for your kids words . Who is this George Lombard ? When and how do I contact him ? Like I said we haven't really started the ball rolling yet so just reading up on the whole process thanks x

Google is your friend - his name will pop up if you include Migration Agent. Ditto Peter Bollard - take your pick

Archived