sale of uk property

andromeda9

The webpage says there is a "CGT Annual Exemption (£11,100 for 2015/16) available for each individual with an interest in the sold property"

I have a house in my name, so if I sold it I could make use of this 11k exemption - but if my wife also had an 'interest', it sounds like she could also use her 11k exemption - ie giving us 22k in total.

Is this correct? And if so, is there an easy / cost effective way of giving my wife an 'interest'?

The webpage says there is a "CGT Annual Exemption (£11,100 for 2015/16) available for each individual with an interest in the sold property"

I have a house in my name, so if I sold it I could make use of this 11k exemption - but if my wife also had an 'interest', it sounds like she could also use her 11k exemption - ie giving us 22k in total.

Is this correct? And if so, is there an easy / cost effective way of giving my wife an 'interest'?

This question is likely to require paid for professional advice if you want advice on which you can rely.

Best regards.

This question is likely to require paid for professional advice if you want advice on which you can rely.

Best regards.

Definitely - and if/when I come to sell said house I'd get professional advice. But it would be interesting to know whether this is an avenue to be explored, or whether there's reasons why this shouldn't / couldn't be done.

Definitely - and if/when I come to sell said house I'd get professional advice. But it would be interesting to know whether this is an avenue to be explored, or whether there's reasons why this shouldn't / couldn't be done.

IMHO the time to take advice is now - in case there are steps you can take to mitigate the CGT position upon the future sale of the property.

Best regards.

IMHO the time to take advice is now - in case there are steps you can take to mitigate the CGT position upon the future sale of the property.

Best regards.

I agree with Alan. CGT and residency issues are complicated areas which change all the time.

Waiting until your property has been sold will often be too late to utilise various reliefs, exemptions etc.

I realise people don't want to pay for advice but it can be worth it in the long term.