Ships Master / Ships Officer / Marine Pilot - OCCUPATION REMOVED July 2017

CaptainR

On 27/11/2017 at 15:35, jithooos said:

Dear Capt R , 

If we start depositing our salary to an Australian Bank account, how will they be taxed ? I am talking about the wages while we are still sailing with a foreign company. Do we need to do anything with ATO before crediting them to our Aussie bank acc? 

No, but at the end of the tax year you will need to do a tax return and may be liable for tax on the wages. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Capt

Did u guys pay any tax on the funds which you brought from overseas when you moved to Australia for the first time, meaning the money which you earned in your home country prior Australian PR .
Appreciate your reply

Kind regards

On 09/12/2017 at 21:15, Lali said:

Hi Capt

Did u guys pay any tax on the funds which you brought from overseas when you moved to Australia for the first time, meaning the money which you earned in your home country prior Australian PR .
Appreciate your reply

Kind regards

No, what you initially bring in with you is tax exempt.

• Like 1

hello everyone, 

i have filled for 189 in June and was contacted by C.O. today by phone( may be because m in Australia). He asked me that i have claimed for 3 years experience but the company letter states that i have worked on contractual basis. My company letter states that i was working with them from Sept 2013 and have sailed last on company vessel from Sept 2016 to Jan 2017 on contractual basis and is currently on leave. I tried to explain to him we cant work continuously and we have to take leave. That our work requires 24 hours job. Then he said u should show at least 20 hours work per week. Than i told him that AMSA considers all this and have given me more than 3 years experience. Than he said okay highlight this and send this to me. In official request he asked Evidence of 3 years employment of at least 20 hours per week. I have a total experience of 13 months over 3.5 years. can anybody on how should i respond to this request properly, i'm afraid that if not explained properly this could lead to rejection.

Seniors please help

thanks 

Regards 

Sandeep dhull

21 hours ago, sandy dhull said:

hello everyone, 

i have filled for 189 in June and was contacted by C.O. today by phone( may be because m in Australia). He asked me that i have claimed for 3 years experience but the company letter states that i have worked on contractual basis. My company letter states that i was working with them from Sept 2013 and have sailed last on company vessel from Sept 2016 to Jan 2017 on contractual basis and is currently on leave. I tried to explain to him we cant work continuously and we have to take leave. That our work requires 24 hours job. Then he said u should show at least 20 hours work per week. Than i told him that AMSA considers all this and have given me more than 3 years experience. Than he said okay highlight this and send this to me. In official request he asked Evidence of 3 years employment of at least 20 hours per week. I have a total experience of 13 months over 3.5 years. can anybody on how should i respond to this request properly, i'm afraid that if not explained properly this could lead to rejection.

Seniors please help

thanks 

Regards 

Sandeep dhull

You could write a statutory declaration explaining the situation. What you would say is that a seafarer onboard a ship you are in employment 24 hours a day 7 days a week for the entire period that you are sailing and that the time between contracts at sea is your compensatory weekends/leave equivalent to shore side employment and that all seafarers applications are assessed by AMSA in this way. You need to make sure that your statutory declaration is specific and clear to read explaining this and have it signed by a local lawyer. You can obtain the australian statutory declaration form online 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CaptainR said:

You could write a statutory declaration explaining the situation. What you would say is that a seafarer onboard a ship you are in employment 24 hours a day 7 days a week for the entire period that you are sailing and that the time between contracts at sea is your compensatory weekends/leave equivalent to shore side employment and that all seafarers applications are assessed by AMSA in this way. You need to make sure that your statutory declaration is specific and clear to read explaining this and have it signed by a local lawyer. You can obtain the australian statutory declaration form online 

Thanks for your reply sir. 

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, jithooos said:

Can anyone please shed some light on this matter. 

What is equivalent to Master IV, Master V class certificate which local ferries ask for? Can Chief mates FG or Masters FG supplement those?

thanks 

Of course an AMSA Master 1 CoR is acceptable in lieu of lower tickets such as Master IV or V. However, many of the ferries also ask for the MED ticket and do appreciate that the jobs again are highly competitive 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys ...
Job scenario is really grim . Leave aside the job offers, I am really finding it difficult to get a interview call.

May be I am not trying with right employers or may be something is wrong with my resume . I have experience as a master but still no calls for interview .
Thinking about changing profession .
How about fellow recent arrivals, any luck with jobs.

Cheers

On 09/02/2018 at 12:24, Lali said:

Job scenario is really grim . Leave aside the job offers, I am really finding it difficult to get a interview call.
Thinking about changing profession .
How about fellow recent arrivals, any luck with jobs.

Tell me about it.  

Already changed profession.  I dont even know who or what I am any more. 

Odd jobs are keeping my head over water.

Trying to launch a startup. will update here once it is up and running.

regards

Tell me about it.  
Already changed profession.  I dont even know who or what I am any more. 
Odd jobs are keeping my head over water.
Trying to launch a startup. will update here once it is up and running.

regards

Can understand ur agony and pain . Let me know which jobs are keeping u afloat. May be I can follow ur lead.

Hope it doesn’t come to modi’s pakora job. [emoji16][emoji16]

Cheers

On 20/02/2018 at 18:08, Adam said:

Does anyone have a contact number for GSM Brisbane?  They’re still asking me for documents that I’ve already provided and really need to speak to someone on the phone rather than waiting weeks for a reply.

thanks 

This may be outdated but brisbane.gsm.team33@immi.gov.au and phone 131 881.

On 22/01/2018 at 21:57, Lali said:

Has anyone been invited for job interview ? Things are really very slow.

On 13/02/2018 at 04:46, LaonardKOh said:

Follow this link to get job at sea marine jobs

The offshore sector has some growth and there are some signs of improvement with companies beginning to recruit including Farstad/Solstad. ASP and Programmed Marine have advertised recently. A few adverts below also: 

https://www.seek.com.au/job/35532306?type=standard&userqueryid=ead49e4141d3dd2b0ca0b898d2759671-8177586&share=twt

https://pilbaraports.bigredsky.com/page.php?pageID=160&windowUID=0&AdvertID=383550

http://www.thedcn.com.au/classifieds-jobs/

There is still a significant number of Australia officers and Masters still looking for work, but if growth continues it won't be long before companies will start considering people with different experience and backgrounds. Since the 457 route has been closed it should be a little easier for those on migrant visas to gain employment. 

Don't forget to look at jobs such as marine surveying, cargo surveying, ports and management positions. Even a ships agent position would look better on the CV than working at Mcdonalds or driving a taxi when trying to obtain that first maritime job in Australia.

Good luck fellas (and ladies?). 

On 22/02/2018 at 11:24, CaptainR said:

The offshore sector has some growth and there are some signs of improvement with companies beginning to recruit including Farstad/Solstad. ASP and Programmed Marine have advertised recently. A few adverts below also: 

https://www.seek.com.au/job/35532306?type=standard&userqueryid=ead49e4141d3dd2b0ca0b898d2759671-8177586&share=twt

https://pilbaraports.bigredsky.com/page.php?pageID=160&windowUID=0&AdvertID=383550

http://www.thedcn.com.au/classifieds-jobs/

There is still a significant number of Australia officers and Masters still looking for work, but if growth continues it won't be long before companies will start considering people with different experience and backgrounds. Since the 457 route has been closed it should be a little easier for those on migrant visas to gain employment. 

Don't forget to look at jobs such as marine surveying, cargo surveying, ports and management positions. Even a ships agent position would look better on the CV than working at Mcdonalds or driving a taxi when trying to obtain that first maritime job in Australia.

Good luck fellas (and ladies?). 

This is really good news.I have been working outside Australia for 1 year. I will plan to return back in Australia this year. Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

SolstadFarstad in Australia is seeking experienced Chief Officers, Second Officers, First Engineers, Second Engineers and Integrated Ratings for a short Pipe haul contract on 3 Azipull DP2 PSV operating NW shelf starting early April 2018. Minimum requirement Pipehaul exp. DPO (Deck Officers) Furuno ECDIS (Deck Officers) Experience on projects such as Ichthys pipeline with Saipam, Marlin pipeline with McDermott and Enfield pipeline with Woodside. Australian working rights. Please contact Chloe May at recruitment.perth@solstadfarstad.com

BHAGWAN
marine

Marine Crew; Engineering Crew; Yard Personnel

Bhagwan Marine (Darwin) seeks
Expressions of Interest for

Experienced marine crew
GPH to MC4

Engineering crew
MED2 with trade background and seeking sea‑time, MED1 and Engineer Class 3

Current STCW Certificate of Safety Training, AMSA Certificate of Medical Fitness and First Aid essential for marine crew.

Experienced yard personnel
with blasting and painting experience

Casual positions only for Darwin residents.

Email resume and copies of qualifications to:

linda.tastula@bhagwanmarine.com

Geelong Marine Services Pty Ltd is an independent Marine Surveying, Marine Consultancy and Stevedoring Company, based in Melbourne, Geelong and Portland. We offer a range of first class professional services to the Maritime Industry and are also able to provide services interstate and overseas on request. Our staff includes experienced Master Mariners and Stevedores. All of our work is carried out with an emphasis on Safety, Quality and Environmental Protection and we comply with relevant industry standards.

About the role

The opportunity has arisen for a Marine Surveyor to join our small surveying arm.

The successful candidate will be responsible for:

• Conducting Draft Surveys on sea going vessels in Portland and Geelong.
  • Grain Hold Inspection Surveys
  • Steel Vessel in stow, discharge and outturn surveys
  • Attain the Qualification as an Authorized Officer( This will be Sponsored)
  • Preparation of reports and Invoices
  • Liaison with Clients, Shipping Agents & vessel staff
  • General Office functions
  • The position will require the candidate to have a Maritime Security Identification Card

Benefits and perks

Fully Maintained Company vehicle

Contribute to the team

Skills and experience

We are looking for individuals with experience in the following areas:

Essential:

• Master Mariner or Completed Diploma In Marine Surveying
• Eligible to obtain a Maritime Security Identification Card
• Flexible approach to work tasks and rostering
• High attention to detail and problem solving initiatives
• Use of initiative to improve processes and make recommendations
• Ability to analyse data and prepare client reports
• Standard Microsoft office suite skills (Excel, Publisher, word, outlook) & internet
• Excellent customer service skills
• Good communication & ability to build rapport with all levels of staff
• Accountability and ownership of responsibilities
• Team-player and ability to work autonomously
• Current driver's license / rights to work in Australia

https://www.seek.com.au/job/35717887?type=standout&userqueryid=124460a58231f71fe652f24f6e467515-3892601

Brunel (Australasia) is a market leader in providing experienced and competent personnel to the offshore industry.

We are currently seeking expressions of interest from suitably qualified and experienced Deck Officers, Engineers and ETO's for future offshore projects.

What you require -

• A commitment to safety and team orientated ethic 
  • Hold a current STCW compliant certificate(s) relevant to your position 
  • Hold Nautical Institute DP Operators Certificate - Deck Officers
  • Hold ECDIS Certification - Generic
  • Hold a DP Maintenance Certificate – Engineering / ETO's Officers (Highly regarded)
  • Hold a current ILO and / or MLC Medical Certificate or equivalent 
  • Hold a valid Passport with a minimum of 6 months currency
  • Hold a current BOSIET

What you get - 

• Excellent safety record and management systems 
  • World class employer with an exciting pipeline of upcoming project opportunities
  • Dedicated and experienced on-shore support team

If you, or someone you may know,  have an interest in registering with Brunel for upcoming projects please click the "APPLY" button including a copy of your up to date resume and we will be in contact.

https://www.seek.com.au/job/35532306?type=standard&userqueryid=a555b8bccb76b6b4dbb04506c3f34c6b-3786728