Migrant Fares.. any airlines???

ShellyPlatt

Wasn't aware Emirates did that anymore.

They offer 30kg as standard. Same as Singapore airlines and some others.

I think Singapore still do a migrant allowance for a permanent unvalidated visa but don't bank on it. Its only an ezxtra 10kg on top of the 30kg though, not double.

Or look at booking through IOM and their migrant fares. TBH no real saving in the fare price but you do get an extra baggage allowance. Limited choice of airlines and routes potentially and availability.

I've used my airmiles to go business class with BA, this gives a 96kg allowance.

Obviously very costly if you don't have airmiles but for me it was 125k miles and £450 taxes one way.

Most of these miles I've gathered in a year from spending on an BA Amex card: 26k joining bonus, 9k for recommending my partner, 26k for her signing up (joint airmiles account), 1 trip to NYC 25k.

Of course the cheapest way is to walk, and swim. (LOL).

All the carriers are much of a muchness.

I always say Qantas.

Join their frequent flyer programme before you book.

Its worth it, there is no Ryanair or Easyjet in Oz.

Use any removal company for your excess luggage; search around before you come.

You can get here really cheap, but it is a long, long way.

24 hours is an eternity on a plane, and the really bad bit is the second leg, because it goes on, and on, and on, and on.

Get loads of sleep on the first leg.

I suppose it depends on how many of you there are.

Thanks for all your feedback! I will join the frequent flyer programme for Qantas that's a good tip!

There are four of us me my husband and two boys 15 and 10. Been looking at airlines this morning and it's hard to decide the best way to go. Also been researching removal companies but that's a mind field too!

Trying to have a productive planning day while I have the day off :-)

We booked our migrant flights from heathrow to melbourne via hong kong with Cathay pacific. We emailed thier customer services to find out if they offered them, after they confirmed they did migrant rates we had to email them the dates and flight numbers we wanted and a copy of our visa grant and they provided us with a quote which we phoned up to book. About £750 each for a one way flight with 40kg of baggage (and they let me board with 47kg because I was such a sobbing mess at check in desk!)

Hey

Does anyone know any airlines that offer a migrant discount or the best one to use for extra luggage allowance? I have heard Emirates offer 50kg if you are emigrating is this correct? Manchester - Perth January 2016.

Never heard of a 50kgs allowance before! I wouldn't get hung up on migrant fares or migrant allowances, they are not really there, just look around for a deal and make your comparisons, some airlines have very reasonable excess baggage rates anyway, BA always did for a start.

Re the second leg being the long one. It is if you fly via Dubai with Emirates/Qantas codeshare. You get the A380 for 6 hours to there from UK then spend 13 hours or so on the smaller more cramped 777 or some such. Personally I prefer the longer leg first on the A380 and then the short leg from say Singapore to Aus for 6-7 hours on the 777 then. Much nicer route IMHO. Or via Hong Kong or Malaysia.

Re the second leg being the long one. It is if you fly via Dubai with Emirates/Qantas codeshare. You get the A380 for 6 hours to there from UK then spend 13 hours or so on the smaller more cramped 777 or some such. Personally I prefer the longer leg first on the A380 and then the short leg from say Singapore to Aus for 6-7 hours on the 777 then. Much nicer route IMHO. Or via Hong Kong or Malaysia.

Definitely prefer the longer leg first. I always travel in business class, but it is still tiring and I would definitely do the long leg first.

Not always - I've done it 3 times now and each time I've had an A380 on both legs. If you go via Singapore you get the 777 - which has slightly more leg room than the older A380s.

Yes agree. I have flown Qantas via Dubai a couple of times each way and always has been the 380 all the way.

Just to reiterate about these "migrant fares."

It is worth using a calculator, then pricing up a single, plus two suitcases each, and seeing if that adds up to less than the migrant fare.

i know when I did it it was cheaper to buy a single rather than an emigration fare.

Look at "parcel to go," and also look at removal companies. They vary enormously in price, so beware.

We were quoted £10,000 from one company, another quoted £5,500 for the exact same deal, so it really is worth asking around.

We booked our flights last week flying Manchester to Perth dec 15. We searched around and spoke to both Singapore and emeriates about extra baggage allowance. Emeriates told me they use to offer 50lg per person for migrants however the oz gov cracked down on it and they are no longer able to offer. Singapore do offer extra 10kg if ur visa is a permanent one however when u book there's no where to add this in u just go to the checking in desk and let them know your situation. Personally we don't trust this so currently looking at shipment costs

Archived