119 visa

It hasn't been called a 119 visa for quite some time, surprised he is still within the first two years on it to be honest?

Employers cannot cancel visas, but he is supposed to spend two years with the employers and they can report him to immigration for non compliance if he leaves voluntarily. It is then in the hands of immigration and he may be asked to explain his reasons for leaving the employment. Personally, I wouldn't take the chance, but some people have a higher risk threshold than me.

Edited by Bungo

If he'd applied just before the visa was closed, and it took a while to be processed, he could definitely still be within the first 2 years.

As Bungo said, the employer cannot cancel the visa. If the employer terminates your friend's employment, your friend may need sufficient evidence that they have attempted to comply with the conditions of the visa. If he resigns before the 2 years is up, the employer can (and it sounds like they might) report to DIBP who may then send him a notice regarding intention to cancel. I'd suggest he stick it out for 4 more months, and reassure him that the employer doesn't have much influence with this as long as he doesn't resign.