Switching visa whilst in oz

Jamesc

Hi, was hoping somebody may be able to help from past experiences. I am currently living in Sydney and I am waiting for my skills assessment to come through so I am able to apply for my expression of interest, my visa expires in a couple of weeks and was wanting to know if I would be able to apply for my EOI whilst on a tourist visa? And also the time scale for the EOI?

Thanks

You don't apply for an EOI, you just lodge it. It is the visa that you apply for and that is after you receive the invitation.

It is perfectly possible to do this whilst you are in Australia, your trouble is, your visa is almost certainly going to expire before you get chance to lodge your visa application.

Thanks for your reply, yes I know my visa will expire before I am able to lodge my application. I was hoping that I may be able to go on a tourist visa until I get an invitation to apply for the 189.

I misunderstood, I thought you meant you were on a tourist visa which is about to expire?

What visa are you on? Getting a tourist visa could be an issue depending on what you are currently on and have had before.

The skilled migrant visa can be lodged whilst onshore unless there is a "no further stay" condition on the existing visa.

At the moment I am on a working holiday visa which is about to come to an end, I am leaving Australia on the 12th of sep and was hoping to come back a couple of weeks later on a tourist visa and stay on that until I get an invitation to apply for the 189 then go onto a bridging visa.

really appreciate your help thanks

At the moment I am on a working holiday visa which is about to come to an end, I am leaving Australia on the 12th of sep and was hoping to come back a couple of weeks later on a tourist visa and stay on that until I get an invitation to apply for the 189 then go onto a bridging visa.

really appreciate your help thanks

You can give that a go, your plan will work so long as you can get the tourist visa. Sometimes people will try for a tourist visa after two WHVs and they have problems, have you just done the first WHV?

Yes just done the 1 year WHV but my partner is on her 2nd, as we weren't planning on staying I didn't complete my regional work. But over the past couple of months we have changed our minds and love it here, we are trying whatever we can to stay!

Yes just done the 1 year WHV but my partner is on her 2nd, as we weren't planning on staying I didn't complete my regional work. But over the past couple of months we have changed our minds and love it here, we are trying whatever we can to stay!

Well you might be ok, but if hers is due to expire as well then I would imagine she would have some trouble getting a tourist visa after two WHVs.

So, how long is your employer prepared to wait for you out of interest?

You realise a visa application will take c. 3 months?

You think your bridging visa from tourist to the visa you are applying for will have work rights?

I'm not really sure how long he would be willing to wait.

I have been told that as soon as I apply for the 189 I would go onto a bridging visa whilst they make the decision about the visa.

i know that the tourist visa has no work rights but I am hoping that the expression of interest is back within a month or so and then I was going to apply for the visa straight away.

I'm not really sure how long he would be willing to wait.

I have been told that as soon as I apply for the 189 I would go onto a bridging visa whilst they make the decision about the visa.

i know that the tourist visa has no work rights but I am hoping that the expression of interest is back within a month or so and then I was going to apply for the visa straight away.

There are some issues with your plan.

1) You may have difficulty re entering Australia on a visitor visa, straight after you have been here for 12 months on a working holiday visa. They may not believe that you are a genuine tourist and turn you around at the border;

2) If you do get in on a visitor visa and manage to lodge a 189 visa, the associated bridging visa will not come into effect until the visitor visa expires. As such you will have to wait some time until you have any work rights.

Archived