WHV advice

lknights1987

Me and my partner are hoping to travel Australia from London next year on a working holiday visa and after some advice on the following.

What time of year would be best to come to Australia? ( We plan to fly into Sydney first)

How much money should we look to bring to Australia? ( We are hoping to find work within 4 weeks and stay in Australia for a year)

What hostels can someone recommend that have rooms for couples?

I'm going in 3 weeks! I've got 8 days in Sydney and in that time I need to find a job. When I was originally going with my boyfriend we booked in Siesta Inn but it's so expensive for a double room- even more so around the time you want to go as its peak. If possible try and come in Swptember when it's in between!! I'm taking between $4500 but I plan to put most of that in my Oz bank account and use that for Bali at Christmas and New year and for the East Coast/Buy a camper after new year. It depends what you want to do, how much you want to spend on tours, whether you want to stay in hostels or hotels etc etc. There is no right or wrong answer and no one can tell you the correct amount as only you know how much you spend!!

I'm going in 3 weeks! I've got 8 days in Sydney and in that time I need to find a job. When I was originally going with my boyfriend we booked in Siesta Inn but it's so expensive for a double room- even more so around the time you want to go as its peak. If possible try and come in Swptember when it's in between!! I'm taking between $4500 but I plan to put most of that in my Oz bank account and use that for Bali at Christmas and New year and for the East Coast/Buy a camper after new year. It depends what you want to do, how much you want to spend on tours, whether you want to stay in hostels or hotels etc etc. There is no right or wrong answer and no one can tell you the correct amount as only you know how much you spend!!

So are you now going alone as you mentioned you were originally going with your boyfriend? What airline are you flying with?

I was thinking more of July-Auguest depending on how much I've saved and if my girlfriend has saved enough aswell. Buying a camper sounds a good idea although I'm guessing they can be quite expensive?

Yeah he decided in the end after 3 years together he didn't want to go, he has a big family and didn't want to leave. It was always my dream to go not his!! I'm meeting some friends when I arrive but flying alone- I'm flying with Emirates! Won't go with anyone else for long haul especially with the distance but I paid around £650 for a one way, I could have paid less but there was more stops involved and the flight duration was mega so it worked out well really! Yeah they are expensive but cheaper in the long run if you are doing months on the road because the price of hostels add up. I've always wanted to get a campervan as well haha!!

Me and my partner are hoping to travel Australia from London next year on a working holiday visa and after some advice on the following.

What time of year would be best to come to Australia? ( We plan to fly into Sydney first)

How much money should we look to bring to Australia? ( We are hoping to find work within 4 weeks and stay in Australia for a year)

What hostels can someone recommend that have rooms for couples?

To be honest, I wouldn't worry too much about the time of year you arrive in, not as you are staying a full 12 months and will experience the full range of weather anyway.

Come at the time that makes most sense for you in your current lives. Any family events you would like to stay for? Any key dates at work e.g. annual bonus to stay for? Most of all, when will you have saved up your target amount.

• 2 weeks later...
Yeah he decided in the end after 3 years together he didn't want to go, he has a big family and didn't want to leave. It was always my dream to go not his!! I'm meeting some friends when I arrive but flying alone- I'm flying with Emirates! Won't go with anyone else for long haul especially with the distance but I paid around £650 for a one way, I could have paid less but there was more stops involved and the flight duration was mega so it worked out well really! Yeah they are expensive but cheaper in the long run if you are doing months on the road because the price of hostels add up. I've always wanted to get a campervan as well haha!!

Emirates surpose to be good! Did you look at flying with Singapore airlines? They are good!

Emirates surpose to be good! Did you look at flying with Singapore airlines? They are good!

Hi we flew with Cathay pacific they were great but my son flew with Singapore and said they were fantastic couldn't do enough for everybody he came on a holiday and then we booked him to come back in WHV and booked Emirates he said never again as the he had to ask for a drink after 3 hours on the plane there were so many passengers and not enough staff he said in the end he had 3 drinks in 14 hours and wasn't impressed I have heard of other people fling with them that are very happy but he would never do it again and swears by Singapore.

So are you now going alone as you mentioned you were originally going with your boyfriend? What airline are you flying with?

I was thinking more of July-Auguest depending on how much I've saved and if my girlfriend has saved enough aswell. Buying a camper sounds a good idea although I'm guessing they can be quite expensive?

It does not matter when you come, though if you arrived in Sydney over Xmas/New Year you might find it hard to get accomodation with the influx of people for the NYE celebrations. From Xmas Eve to Australia Day (26th January), it is school and summer holidays which may affect your job hunting. Apart from those considerations, come when you like.

It does not matter when you come, though if you arrived in Sydney over Xmas/New Year you might find it hard to get accomodation with the influx of people for the NYE celebrations. From Xmas Eve to Australia Day (26th January), it is school and summer holidays which may affect your job hunting. Apart from those considerations, come when you like.

Thanks MaryRose i am now looking at coming over between July & August 2016 that'll give me enough time to save a good amount of money. I now need to decide what part of Australia I'm going to fly into so i'll have a good chance of finding some work.

Archived