Primary Schools on the Gold Coast

Dnursey1980

Hi, we will be arriving on the gc end of October. We have been doing a lot of research and would like to live in a family friendly suburb with lots going on, we have narrowed it down to the northern suburbs, helensvale,p pines,Arundel,parkwood,Carrara, southport . We have been looking at schools online and they seem rather big and have a lot of children attending. Is this normal for qld schools, I thought they were a lot smaller? Does anyone have any good recommendations of schools in those areas? My daughter will be going into year 2, and my son in reception. Any help would be great

Hi, we will be arriving on the gc end of October. We have been doing a lot of research and would like to live in a family friendly suburb with lots going on, we have narrowed it down to the northern suburbs, helensvale,p pines,Arundel,parkwood,Carrara, southport . We have been looking at schools online and they seem rather big and have a lot of children attending. Is this normal for qld schools, I thought they were a lot smaller? Does anyone have any good recommendations of schools in those areas? My daughter will be going into year 2, and my son in reception. Any help would be great

Hi,

we will be moving to the gold coast next year, the state schools have catchment areas, so it might depend on the area you live in.

http://www.qgso.qld.gov.au/maps/edmap/

Note:

"To enrol in a school that has a School EMP in place, students must meet the eligibility criteria outlined in the school's School EMP document.

All Queensland state schools with a School EMP in place are listed in the menu on the left hand side of this page."

• 2 months later...

Hi we're looking to move to Gold Coast next year. I was wondering if anyone could tell me about policies and procedures regarding enrolment to primary schools. I've heard that you have to pay for schooling until you become a resident is this true? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

If looking at state schools you need to live in the catchment for that school. To start actual school the child needs to turn 5 before July to start school the following year in what is called prep.

Have heard good reports about Helensvale Primary. Yes primarys schools are getting very large some with 2000 students prep to year 6. You need to show proof of where you live before you can enrol in a state school. Best bet is to rent a place short term have a good look around and go visit a few schools then decide where to settle.

Edited by Tina2

Hi,

we will be moving to the gold coast next year, the state schools have catchment areas, so it might depend on the area you live in.

http://www.qgso.qld.gov.au/maps/edmap/

Note:

"To enrol in a school that has a School EMP in place, students must meet the eligibility criteria outlined in the school's School EMP document.

All Queensland state schools with a School EMP in place are listed in the menu on the left hand side of this page."

Yes, the schools in Red are catchment controlled (i.e. they have an Enrolment Management Plan to limit out of catchment enrolments); the blue schools are not. Blue schools are more open to out of catchment enrolments.

You can enter an exact address on this website and it will tell you the primary and high school catchments the house is in.

To see the Enrolment Management Plan (EMP) for a particular Red school click its name and then click the link named "School EMP in force".

Edited by fish.01