whitsunday islands

shak

Hi...i have 6 months left in oz,and don't want to leave without visiting the whitsundays.i've heard its amazing,especially whitehaven beach,the pictures look wow!

Im just wondering if anyone knows when is the best time to visit?is it super expensive? Is there a time of year i should avoid due to stingrays,jellyfishes,etc?

Thanks

Hi...i have 6 months left in oz,and don't want to leave without visiting the whitsundays.i've heard its amazing,especially whitehaven beach,the pictures look wow!

Im just wondering if anyone knows when is the best time to visit?is it super expensive? Is there a time of year i should avoid due to stingrays,jellyfishes,etc?

Thanks

I went in December last year, squeezed a trip in just before we left Australia in January, obviously thinking the same as you!

It was beautiful that time of year in terms of weather but stinger season has started by then. Unless you go in the next two or three months or so, you won't be able to avoid it in your six month window, still wearing a protective stinger suit is no great hardship.

You can get cheap deals on a boat out once you get to Airlie Beach. There are lots of travel shops and they want to fill the boats so you can haggle. I'd recommend going on a trip between 2-3 days and go for a smaller boat, they can try and cram a lot of people on the bigger ones. Haggling is the key to a great deal and play the different travel agents off against each other too x

I live in the area and see the southern Whitsundays every day and as @CaptainC notes, the summer is the worst time, which is 'The Wet', for marine stingers etc.

Best time would be September. Various cruises are on offer, from water taxis to 3 island hops to outer reef day and o/night trips.

Take your pick and enjoy.:yes:

Cheers, Bobj.

I remember going in Dec 04 and we were warned about the stingers and not to even dash from the boat to shore without protection. Managed to avoid the jellies thankfully and the trip was breathtaking. A real bucket list experience.

033_33.jpg

033_33.jpg

Archived