Do I need to sort WHV tax returns before applying for a 189 visa?

Lotti22

I was in Australia on a WHV in 2013-14 but have not yet sorted tax returns out for the period I was out there .. I plan eventually to apply for an independent skilled migrant visa 189.. Does anyone have experience of the 189 application process - will they want my TFN from my original WHV year ? I presume I'm going to have to sort my tax out properly and go through all the previous jobs I did while one WHV- which was 2013-2014 across 2 tax Australian tax years .. I'm a vet I did locum work for nine different places and just went on PAYE so I did pay tax but just didn't fill in returns at the end of each tax year. I guess being a Brit I was so used to all that being done for me...

do they go into the previous work and link my TFN for this 189 application? I hope to apply for my 189 visa in 2016 ... But I don't want to apply for my visa if it might get rejected because of any outstanding problems trough not filling in a tax return from my original WHV year!

I don't remember seeing a request on any of the forms for a TFN (I was on a WHV previously too) but there is a note that all debts to the ATO should be repaid. Whether this happens in practice or not I'm not sure.

Either way given the TFN is for life you'll need to sort out that return, it's possible that you may have been owed a refund, particularly if you were based in the same are for the majority of your stay.

It's more than likely you are owed a refund so I wouldn't worry too much, because most Australians get a refund the ATO don't chase/fine people like HMRC do though just before we left in 2012 there was talk of it so that could have changed.

I would suggest you contact @Alan Collett who could easily sort it out for you.

It wouldn't impact your visa application though.

Hi Lotti22.

It is usually the case that Australian tax returns are pre-filled with most if not all of PAYG salary details - assuming previous employers have completed the end of year PAYG returns correctly.

Feel able to send a PM to me if you'd like a no obligation proposal for lodging your outstanding Aus tax returns - as noted above it is quite possible you are due a tax repayment, assuming you were a tax resident of Australia. Whether you were a tax resident will largely depend on whether you spent limited periods in any one place (akin to a holiday - when you will probably be non-resident for tax purposes), or remained in one place for at least 6 months and worked there (when you can reasonably consider yourself to have been tax resident in Australia).

Tax residents of Australia receive the tax free threshold (equivalent to the UK's personal allowance) while non residents are subject to tax at 32.5% on the first $ of Australian source income.

Best regards.

Thank you for your help. I moved around lots doing locum work so I didn't get a full 6 months with any one employer.. I will have a think ! From what people have suggested it might not even affect my visa application which is great too.

I will let you know if I need some help sorting it :)

I was in Australia on a WHV in 2013-14 but have not yet sorted tax returns out for the period I was out there .. I plan eventually to apply for an independent skilled migrant visa 189.. Does anyone have experience of the 189 application process - will they want my TFN from my original WHV year ? I presume I'm going to have to sort my tax out properly and go through all the previous jobs I did while one WHV- which was 2013-2014 across 2 tax Australian tax years .. I'm a vet I did locum work for nine different places and just went on PAYE so I did pay tax but just didn't fill in returns at the end of each tax year. I guess being a Brit I was so used to all that being done for me...

do they go into the previous work and link my TFN for this 189 application? I hope to apply for my 189 visa in 2016 ... But I don't want to apply for my visa if it might get rejected because of any outstanding problems trough not filling in a tax return from my original WHV year!

Hi Lotti22,

I have recently been granted a 189 visa and I had an outstanding tax return from the year 2010-2011. When I logged on to mygov I also had 'outstanding' returns from the years to follow (where I was in the UK and just had to tell them that a tax return wasn't due). I didn't sort out my tax affairs until after the grant so I wouldn't worry - I don't think it'd be a problem at all. I also agree that I don't remember filling in my TFN anywhere, but it will be the same as your WHV TFN as you only get one (a bit like your National Insurance Number). As others have said, you'll probably be due a refund anyway!

Good luck

Hi Lotti22.

It is usually the case that Australian tax returns are pre-filled with most if not all of PAYG salary details - assuming previous employers have completed the end of year PAYG returns correctly.

Feel able to send a PM to me if you'd like a no obligation proposal for lodging your outstanding Aus tax returns - as noted above it is quite possible you are due a tax repayment, assuming you were a tax resident of Australia. Whether you were a tax resident will largely depend on whether you spent limited periods in any one place (akin to a holiday - when you will probably be non-resident for tax purposes), or remained in one place for at least 6 months and worked there (when you can reasonably consider yourself to have been tax resident in Australia).

Tax residents of Australia receive the tax free threshold (equivalent to the UK's personal allowance) while non residents are subject to tax at 32.5% on the first $ of Australian source income.

Best regards.

@scottishstacey this is the post I was talking about

As I understand it, and I'm sure Alan will correct me if I'm wrong you will either be resident in the UK or in Australia for tax purposes but not both.

UK and Australia have an agreement to ensure that there is not 'double taxation' so you will only pay tax in one place. If you are deemed as resident in the UK, you will pay 32.5% tax in Australia but you will also have to declare it in the UK - you won't be taxed again as such as they will offset the tax already paid. My tax return was quite complicated last year and even my accountant got it wrong, until I educated her!! :)

I think the change coming in is that all WHV holders will be considered non-residents.

@scottishstacey this is the post I was talking about

As I understand it, and I'm sure Alan will correct me if I'm wrong you will either be resident in the UK or in Australia for tax purposes but not both.

UK and Australia have an agreement to ensure that there is not 'double taxation' so you will only pay tax in one place. If you are deemed as resident in the UK, you will pay 32.5% tax in Australia but you will also have to declare it in the UK - you won't be taxed again as such as they will offset the tax already paid. My tax return was quite complicated last year and even my accountant got it wrong, until I educated her!! :)

I think the change coming in is that all WHV holders will be considered non-residents.

confused.com. I think the new tax rules come in June or July

It doesn't look like it would affect you though??
It won't; it was just out of interest as I was previously on a WHV (before moving onto a 457) and tax resident. The difference for me then would have been substantial (well over $10000) as I was working IT contracts.

Still a proposal or confirmed? Either way this is sad to see.

Edited by Cubiscus