How many dogs?

cjenky

Hi, we are looking at moving to SA on a 190. Bringing our 3 dogs with us has always been part of the plan. I have been researching the rules and regs of owning dogs in SA, I know they must be registered with the council and an annual fee paid etc. However it seems that most councils advise only 2 dogs can be kept at a property, an application can be made for a 3rd dog. Am I understanding this correctly?

If this is the case how would I go about bringing my 3 dogs, do I need to contact the council prior to the dogs arrival. Obviously I need this in place before they arrive, I don't want to bring 3 dogs to Australia to be told well actually you can only keep 2 of them.

Any info/advice would be much appreciated

Thanks

That's about right re the 2 dog rule in most areas. You need to apply for a third and iirc neighbours can have input and refuse but I may be remembering it wrong. You can't apply in advance that I am aware of as its dependant on the council and house you will be living in.

Check more rural areas (by this I mean councils up in the hills and the other side) and towns as they may allow more. Rural property with no immediate neighbours may not be an issue at all or need a permit.

Getting a rental with 3 dogs may well be hard. One dog, maybe 2 but 3, I'd be a bit concerned as landlords might not want that many on their land or in house.

In our area, whether you are allowed one or two dogs depends on the size of your property. To keep three, you should live on a rural property and, as you say, you need to apply to the council for permission for the third dog. The property is inspected by the Council Ranger, to ensure that there is sufficient room, so you need to bear that in mind when looking for a property to rent.

I would contact the dog ranger in perhaps one or two council areas where you might consider living and ask for advice. Their reply may give you some idea whether it is worth trying to bring three dogs, as it is a very expensive undertaking.

In our area, whether you are allowed one or two dogs depends on the size of your property. To keep three, you should live on a rural property and, as you say, you need to apply to the council for permission for the third dog. The property is inspected by the Council Ranger, to ensure that there is sufficient room, so you need to bear that in mind when looking for a property to rent.

I would contact the dog ranger in perhaps one or two council areas where you might consider living and ask for advice. Their reply may give you some idea whether it is worth trying to bring three dogs, as it is a very expensive undertaking.

Hi thanks for your input. What / where is classed as rural? We are quite happy to live off the beaten track and don't mind commuting for work (Were used to it) Our dogs are our family (We don't have children) and so ideally we want to bring them with us. The cost to bring them is astronomical but I couldn't leave them behind.

You'll need to look up in the hills, outside of the greater suburban/metropolitan area.

Open google maps and have a look east and south east (and perhaps a bit north east) from the CBD.

For example, I'll tell you about areas I know and pass through a fair bit. Cherry Gardens, Ironbank, Bradybury, Mylor. All within commuting distance of the CBD but of course roads will get busier once you hit the edge of the city. You can even head out towards Hahndorf. Meadows, Kangarilla, Maclaren Flat

Don't just focus on these small towns (and by small, I mean perhaps a hundred people living in them) as there are properties scattered about between them. You don't need to go far out of Adelaide to be in a rural area thats for sure. Honestly, you go from houses everywhere, built up suburbs to empty roads and houses at the end of long dirt driveways really quickly.

I don't think it will be impossible to find something that will be ok for all 3 dogs to live on but it will require effort and research. Look on realestate.com.au on the app as you can select an area via the map rather than having to list a specific suburb or town on the website.

For example, I found this 7 acre property listed in Echunga that is pet friendly http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-sa-echunga-416389089

You'd need to really get in touch with agents and let them know what you have dog wise and that perhaps you are happy to pay extra bond or some such and then apply for a 3rd dog as and when.

That property is in the Mt Barker council from what I can see. You could always contact the council and enquire as to what the policy is if you want to confirm their website saying 3 as pets if on a rural property. So focus on this area to live in for example and you should hopefully be ok with 3 without a permit. The 2 dog rule would be for in actual towns or Mt Barker and so on I would think. Not for a house on a country road set on 7 acres iykwim.

http://www.dcmtbarker.sa.gov.au/dog#HowManyDogs'>http://www.dcmtbarker.sa.gov.au/dog#HowManyDogs

http://www.dcmtbarker.sa.gov.au/dog

http://www.dcmtbarker.sa.gov.au/webdata/resources/files/Application_for_a_permit_to_keep_more_than_two_dogs.pdf

Also depends on how big the dogs are. after all three Great Danes is a different proposition to three Yorkshire Terriers!

still need to apply for more than two in most cases but easier to get with smaller dogs.

we lived in Mount Barker for a while and someone on a new estate had four Labradors. BUT they had bought two plots of land, built a house on one and landscaped the other one and fenced it for the dogs! They are quite strict and believe me someone WILL report you if you try to break the rules.

agree that more rural properties will be best and different councils have different rules. If you can delay the shipping until you have sorted accommodation that might help, otherwise you may need to kennel the dogs for a while when they come out of quarantine.

Also do not search for rentals based on 'pets allowed' as many Landlords will consider them but like to look at each case. We have a house in Hahndorf that we rent out, our ad does not say pets allowed BUT most of our tenants have had dogs. In fact the agent said that most people up in the hills are likely to have pets so we would limit our field by not accepting them at all.

You'll need to look up in the hills, outside of the greater suburban/metropolitan area.

Open google maps and have a look east and south east (and perhaps a bit north east) from the CBD.

For example, I'll tell you about areas I know and pass through a fair bit. Cherry Gardens, Ironbank, Bradybury, Mylor. All within commuting distance of the CBD but of course roads will get busier once you hit the edge of the city. You can even head out towards Hahndorf. Meadows, Kangarilla, Maclaren Flat

Don't just focus on these small towns (and by small, I mean perhaps a hundred people living in them) as there are properties scattered about between them. You don't need to go far out of Adelaide to be in a rural area thats for sure. Honestly, you go from houses everywhere, built up suburbs to empty roads and houses at the end of long dirt driveways really quickly.

I don't think it will be impossible to find something that will be ok for all 3 dogs to live on but it will require effort and research. Look on realestate.com.au on the app as you can select an area via the map rather than having to list a specific suburb or town on the website.

For example, I found this 7 acre property listed in Echunga that is pet friendly http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-sa-echunga-416389089

You'd need to really get in touch with agents and let them know what you have dog wise and that perhaps you are happy to pay extra bond or some such and then apply for a 3rd dog as and when.

Great info thank you so much for taking the time. I know ive got a lot of research to do and will get on with it straight away. You've been really helpful, thank you

Also depends on how big the dogs are. after all three Great Danes is a different proposition to three Yorkshire Terriers!

still need to apply for more than two in most cases but easier to get with smaller dogs.

we lived in Mount Barker for a while and someone on a new estate had four Labradors. BUT they had bought two plots of land, built a house on one and landscaped the other one and fenced it for the dogs! They are quite strict and believe me someone WILL report you if you try to break the rules.

agree that more rural properties will be best and different councils have different rules. If you can delay the shipping until you have sorted accommodation that might help, otherwise you may need to kennel the dogs for a while when they come out of quarantine.

Also do not search for rentals based on 'pets allowed' as many Landlords will consider them but like to look at each case. We have a house in Hahndorf that we rent out, our ad does not say pets allowed BUT most of our tenants have had dogs. In fact the agent said that most people up in the hills are likely to have pets so we would limit our field by not accepting them at all.

Thanks for taking the time to reply and the info. We have 2 staffies and an American bull dog x.

Archived