Hi everyone, new to this forum

Guest Lindt

Hi everyone

Just to say we've got our visa's, house up for sale and soon to be on our way to Melbourne. Just a little concerned with the school system, got two children, 14 and 12, I know eldest would be ok starting secondary but concerned with 12 year old, she is not 13 until August 2007, so when we come over to Oz she will still be 12. Can anyone help.

Hubby is a sheet metal worker, and I work in a school, not sure where we are going to live in Melbourne, need to sort out work first or even more important 'schools', any suggestions for good schools, and if I e-mail schools do they send out 'school prospectus' about their performaces.

Thanks very much

Linda

The Taylor Family

Hi, this won't answer your question fully, but this is my experience and may be of help/

We're going to WA in January, we've managed to get a 3 month furnished rental (whilst our own furniture is in transit), I emailed the schools in that area (as we're arriving in their summer holidays). I emailed 3, one didn't reply at all, one was really friendly and informative and the other said it would depend on my address (as they have catchment areas). As it happens, we're in the catchment area for the 'friendly' school and the principle there couldn't be more helpful, he's even sorted out a pen-pal (via email) for my daughter (whose 11 and has very mixed feelings about the move.), who will be in the same class next year.

Alot of the schools have website, we don't have the benefit of visiting these schools first and we've gone off our initial impressions and instinct - I've since spoken to someone who has a child at the school and is really happy with the set up.

I'd email a few schools if you know the area you want to live in and see how you feel about the response. For Alexandra, having started High School in September, she'll return to Primary School, but I know that the school she will go to feeds into one of the top 5 High schools in the state.

Thanks Ali

We are not sure which part of Melbourne we are goin to go to yet, need to look into areas a bit more, also need to look into areas for hubbys job as well. Is there a website which you can get the schools info from, or do you have to look into different areas first?

Thanks, but now I am a little worried that if we dont do something before we go we may not get our children into a school.

Thanks again Ali, if you have anymore info please get in touch.

Good Luck with your move. That's a good idea,having a pen-pal, I'll look into this.

LindT

The Taylor Family :):)

Hi everyone

Just to say we've got our visa's, house up for sale and soon to be on our way to Melbourne. Just a little concerned with the school system, got two children, 14 and 12, I know eldest would be ok starting secondary but concerned with 12 year old, she is not 13 until August 2007, so when we come over to Oz she will still be 12. Can anyone help.

Linda

The Taylor Family

Hi Linda,

My youngest's birthday is 28 August. She will start high school in January at 12 yrs old.

Thank you Fraser

You have been so helpful, I am now a little concerned with regards schools. I received a message from another person who has told me schools take children ' a year ahead' i found this a little concerning as I said that not all people know where are they are going to live in especailly us lookingi nto Melbourne.

She has advised me to get in touch with the schools asap and I'm sitting here worried. I asked her if there are any school websites, but still deciding were to go.

My daughter will be 13 on 12th August 2007, so luckily by your reply she may start secondary school ok with my son who is 14.

Some of our schools hold a few places open for children who move into the area, but as some schools are over subscribed they dont feel obliged - all this (every child matters) if a school is full what can you do?

Another person told me a good thing which happened to her, when she wrote to 3 schools in Oz she got 2 replies and one of the schools even set up a pen-friend system for her 11yr old daughter, which I thought was a great idea. This enables the child to feel that she know someone straight away.

Do you know if we e-mail the schools that they send out 'School Prospectus' giving you all info about the school, and do they have league tables, like we do over in Englang?

I know alot of questions again. But really conderned!!!!

Anyway, we are now looking into the areas which you posted to another reply, even looking into Geelong which sounds like a lovely place, as well as Hoppers crossing, Point Cook, Werribee and a few others to name.

Thanks again

Linda

The Taylor Family

Thank you

We are not Catholic so a State School/College whatever you call them. Since I received many messages from yourself, we are now going to look at the areas you have suggested, Point Cook/Werribee/hoppers Crossing/Wyndam Vale and also someone has mentioned Truganania?

We thought getting hubby sorted with job first, then look into schools depending on areas, but as the Education has been brought to attention, we are looking at that first. Hopefully hubby can get a sheet metal workers job somewhere near by, who knows. I think he is willing to look into other areas of work when we get over there. as well, he'll turn his hand to anything.

Anyway I was really pleased with your news about your daughter being 12 and 4 months come January, my daughter will be 12yr 5 months in January, so they have something in common. My son will be ok, he is 14, 15 next April.

T :D hanks again, you really have been so helpful for us.

Linda

The Taylor Family :D

Thank you

Anyway I was really pleased with your news about your daughter being 12 and 4 months come January, my daughter will be 12yr 5 months in January, so they have something in common. My son will be ok, he is 14, 15 next April.

T :D hanks again, you really have been so helpful for us.

Linda

Seems like a set.. I also have a son currently 14, who will be 15 next July... ....and an older daughter at 17 8)

Thank you

Since I received many messages from yourself, we are now going to look at the areas you have suggested, Point Cook/Werribee/hoppers Crossing/Wyndam Vale and also someone has mentioned Truganania?

Linda

Yup...

Point Cook/Werribee/Hoppers Crossing/Wyndam Vale/Truganania are all nested together.

Consensus is to avoid Hoppers Crossing Sec College. Werribee Sec College gets a good name.

Carranbalac (?sp) School at Boardwalk (Used to be called Point Cok Primary, but is being extended) is Prep to Yr 10 at the moment, and gets a reasonably good name too.

Heathdale Christian College also gets a very good name.

Sorry Phil missed your question. We've got a furnished rental in Leeming for frst 3 months (until our furniture arrives), the rents not particulalry cheap, but he's offered us a deal, we can use his car, he'll pay the bills and the cat can come too - and as it's summer (we arrive Jan 7th), it's worked out well.

We'll be hoping to settle around that sort of area I think. Been offerred a nursing post in Armadale, but someone's told me it's not very nice!!

Ali

Guest Phil Olsen

Hi Ali

I am from Northern suburbs myself, and so don't really know Armadale that well. However, you are near to some brilliant countryside and outdoor life in Dwellingup and surrounds. Me and the kids often go camping there

Phil

Guest abeattie

Hi Linda,

I have two children, Rhys 11 years and Rhiannon 15 years. We have been living in Truganina for approx 11 months now and are really enjoying it.

As for shcools our daughter goes to Thomas Carr College it is a private Catholic school but, as I understand it the kids do not necessarily have to be catholic to go there, I have found it an excellent school my daughter has really come on there. My cousins have lived here for 30 years and all their children went to Thomas Carr so the school came highly recommended for us.

Looking at your daughter, she will more than likely go into secondary school with your son so you really only need to look at one school for both.

With regards to area, Werribee, Hoppers Crossing, Truganina & Tarneit are all very close to each other, then approx 10 -15 minute drive you have altona, altona meadows, laverton, point cook, sanctuary lakes etc...

My husband is a Metal Machinist and there is plenty of work here for him, so I dont think your husband will have any problems regarding work.

If you want to meet for a coffee and a chat when you get here or just need any advice feel free to contact me I will try and help where I can. I believe you have to been talking to our cousins mandy and nathan who are hoping to come out in Jan / Feb visa'a pending.

Good luck and stay in touch

Angie & Sean

Hi Linda,

...As for shcools our daughter goes to Thomas Carr College it is a private Catholic school but, as I understand it the kids do not necessarily have to be catholic to go there, I have found it an excellent school my daughter has really come on there. My cousins have lived here for 30 years and all their children went to Thomas Carr so the school came highly recommended for us.

Yup... I second that. Thomas Carr has been good for my Kids. My eldest daughter is just finishing Yr 12 this year, and my youngest starts in Jan/feb...

There are lots of non-catholic kids at the school... but the catholic primary feeder schools (St Peters. St James etc) do get priority.

It is not an overtly religious school... in that as far as I can see the kids do not get force-fed... The dicipline is, on the whole, pretty good, and the teaching (read 'staff') quality is excellent.

Hi Angie & Sean

Thanks, thats great news, I~ feel I can now rest a little, been frantically searching all the wkend looking at schools and even looking into areas to live in.

We have been looking into Point Cook (favourite up to now) Werribee, Hoppers Crossing and Wyndham. What do you think of these areas?

Wyndham seems to be an area for development. Do you know how soon the new schools will take to be open, It shows on the map, this area for a shopping development and Primary/Secondary Schools, Do you know anyone who lives in this area?

Angie, Thank you for views on your school, sometimes it pays to hear from people who live near the school, or even their children attending, because some schools can look great on paper and achievments but you cant beat honest oppinion, and parents views. :D:D:D

Angie, you never know we might even be coming over with Mandy & Nathan, we've got another viewer coming round tomorrow ~(fingers & everything crossed - 3rd time lucky) and I will definately take you up on the coffee, coz we wont have any until we get there :lol:

With my hubby being a sheet metal worker, that news sounds great aswell, do you know if theres any sheet metal worker's job in the area? But he'll have a go at anything, ~I think.

Thanks again Fraser, I am aware your children attend this school and you recommended it previously, but as we are not Catholic, it doesnt really happen near us, Catholics normally go to their schools and the other children go to a Cof E school. Its a very rare occassion that a non-catholic child gets into a Catholic school.

We have experience on this, as my daughter applied for a Catholic School in Liverpool, had to pass a music audition which she did with high scores, we had to go to appeal, and was told that she could not attend this school because she was not Catholic - well you can imagine her upset. I was rather angry that they let her go through a music audition, appeal and then be told (NO) coz of her religion.

But if you say there are non-catholic attending this school, we may even look into this.

Anyway would be greatful for your reply, I know you will, you are always giving great advice.

Linda :D ( a much happier mum at the moment) :D

The Taylor Family

Hi Fraser

It's me again, just need to know how do you put a picture against your name, I've tried but it doesnt seem to happen, what am i doing wrong?

Thanks, dippy me, :? even more dippy coz our computer died last Wednesday and we had to buy a new one, so I'm still finding new things out.

Linda :)

Guest abeattie

Hi Linda,

Don't really know much about Wyndam Vale so cannot really help you there, however you will not have a shortage of area's to live as there are new developments going up all the time.

I have recently met two lovely families who have recently moved here, both from poms in oz, Krista and her family and Gill and her family. Krista has settled in Sanctuary Lakes a beautiful area but a bit on the expensive side, and Gill has settled in Altona Meadows again a very nice area, quite near the beach I think.

Werribee, Hoppers crossing, point cook, tarneit and Truganina are all next door to each other and are very up and coming area's (werribee and hoppers are the older area's) I would not have a problem living in any of those area's.

The shopping is pretty good here too :roll: :lol:

Hopefully you will be bringing mandy & nathan with you, it is driving them nuts waiting for their visa it is also driving us nuts as well now as we cannot wait for them to arrive.

With regards to hubby and work take a look at the following sites;

http://www.seek.com.au

http://www.careerone.com.au

http://www.mycareer.com.au

He may also want to register with http://www.flexipersonnel.com.au and http://www.peopleco.com.au they are both local agencies and I have no doubt they will be able to find him work.

Hope all the above helps a little and feel free to look us up when you arrive, we are happy to help with anything we can.

keep in touch

Angie & Sean

Hi Fraser

It's me again, just need to know how do you put a picture against your name, I've tried but it doesn't seem to happen, what am i doing wrong?

Thanks, dippy me, :? even more dippy coz our computer died last Wednesday and we had to buy a new one, so I'm still finding new things out.

Linda :)

Hi Linda,

You need to go to "profile" at the top of the opening page. and thenm go thto the avatar control panel and add the picture you want. The picture muts be of a particular size and type... generally a .bmp or .jpg file...

Displays a small graphic image below your details in posts. Only one image can be displayed at a time, its width can be no greater than 100 pixels, the height no greater than 100 pixels, and the file size no more than 10 KB.

easy! 8)

....We have been looking into Point Cook (favourite up to now) Werribee, Hoppers Crossing and Wyndham. What do you think of these areas?

Linda :D ( a much happier mum at the moment) :D

The Taylor Family

FYI, Wyndham City Council...http://www.wyndham.vic.gov.au/home

• 2 weeks later...
Guest thistles and gum trees
Thank you Fraser

You have been so helpful, I am now a little concerned with regards schools. I received a message from another person who has told me schools take children ' a year ahead' i found this a little concerning as I said that not all people know where are they are going to live in especailly us lookingi nto Melbourne.

She has advised me to get in touch with the schools asap and I'm sitting here worried. I asked her if there are any school websites, but still deciding were to go.

My daughter will be 13 on 12th August 2007, so luckily by your reply she may start secondary school ok with my son who is 14.

Some of our schools hold a few places open for children who move into the area, but as some schools are over subscribed they dont feel obliged - all this (every child matters) if a school is full what can you do?

Another person told me a good thing which happened to her, when she wrote to 3 schools in Oz she got 2 replies and one of the schools even set up a pen-friend system for her 11yr old daughter, which I thought was a great idea. This enables the child to feel that she know someone straight away.

Do you know if we e-mail the schools that they send out 'School Prospectus' giving you all info about the school, and do they have league tables, like we do over in Englang?

I know alot of questions again. But really conderned!!!!

Anyway, we are now looking into the areas which you posted to another reply, even looking into Geelong which sounds like a lovely place, as well as Hoppers crossing, Point Cook, Werribee and a few others to name.

Thanks again

Linda

The Taylor Family

Hi Linda,

We are a family with three children 13, 11 and 7. We have recently found out that we are moving to Victoria in October 2007 and like you have all sorts of worries and fears about schooling. If you get any info please pass it our way! Our boys (13 and 7) are really excited about the move but our daughter (11 - 12 in Dec) is the most concerned - really because she doesn't want to live so far away form her Granny and Grandad. If your daughter wants to email her (via us) then you can contact me on a private post and perhaps after a few posts they could get in touch. I know its really hard for the children and I really worry about the system changes for them, but kids are resilient and I know this will be the best move for their future. Hope all goes well. Sarah

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi Everyone

(I'm a newie to the forum too - can't believe how much time I spend on here but its so helpful, although you start off with one question and end up with the answer but more queries along the way).

We're just in the sorting stage before packing and moving to Melbourne in January 2009 (my OH, myself and our 17 yr old son plus our dog)

I can't believe I've sorted all the paperwork, jabs, certificates, quarantine place etc for our dog but haven't got our son organised.

We are unsure at this stage where we will be located which obviously isn't ideal but feel it will probably be the East of the CBD as my husband will be working in the CBD.

My son has just completed his GCSE's in Sept but I've read that these aren't really relevant in the Australian education system and I'm wondering what criteria the school's have other than the catchment area to govern who they will accept.

As a typical 17 year old he is unsure what occupation he would like once his education is complete and so we were guiding him into the A level subjects for the widest choice possible ie Maths, Physics, and Biology. I have read also that as part of the classroom work there is the possibility of practical, work experience etc. Can anyone shed some light on these options?

My son would certainly approve of your logo Lindt - he's a BIG fan of LFC. :wink: (as is my OH). Whoops - That's probably lost me a few advisers.

Denise

Archived