Visa Versa

tracy123

Hi Everyone

i would like to share my story hoping it my help someone. before i start i will give you a little background.

I am Australian i have 2 passports as my Dad is English, i came to England as my wife left me and Australia no matter how big could not swallow me up. for the past 10 years i had driven trucks and buses from rigids to road trains.

i came to England looking for a fresh start, flying over England my 1st thought was WOW it was really green not what i expected. then i landed at Manchester Airport, my cousin who i had never met collected me and wisked me off to Wythenshawe, what a come down, it looked so dirty and old. he was kind enough to give me a bed but i had to buy my own sheets so off i went into town what a nightmare, things did not improve i could not get a bank acount, sign on the dole and i sent off for my drivers licence and all i got was a car licence!!! the first few weeks were really depressing, then slowly things fell into place i sat my truck test and passed. The dole office helped me get a bank account still no money though, i got work and the money worries stopped. but i was still lost!!!

It was the simple things now that got me down, what brand of peanut butter do i buy? they dont sell craft peanut butter?! what shop sells what??? Currys does that sell Asian food???? i lost my confidence to look in these shops! not just that on the work front i was forever getting lost i dont know how many times i went around the manchester ring road every time i went to Liverpool i found a new way (not because i wanted to) it was looking bleek. then one day things changed i dont know how or when or even why?? but things got better.

I have been here now for 4 years i have wonderful partner and 3 children, Tracy wants to move to Oz now so i know how hard it will be for her and you!

This is where I'd like to share my advice make yourself 2 lists, first one WHY YOU WANT TO LEAVE THE U.K and 2/ THINGS YOU WANT TO SEE AND DO WHILE IN OZ. if you keep the first one on you when you arrive every time you get down read the list. no matter what your reasons for moving are, when you feel depressed England will always seem the better option so remind yourself why you left. the second list is why do want to make yourself stay in a country on the other side of the world for? why make yourself stay for 2 years 6 months or a day you will only feel trapped. This way when you feel down turn it into holiday mode WHATS ON MY LIST OF THINGS THAT I WANT TO DO and just do one.

I have a list here are a few of mine, have strawberries and cream at the tennis, visit Stonehenge, have a cup of tea with the Queen (unlikely i know but it still makes mesmilewhen i read it!!), ride a donkey at Blackpool. By the time you work through your list if your still not happy at least you can go home happy knowing you did everything you wanted.

My last bit of advice is keep enough money for a return fight home, that way no matter how bad things get you can always come back to clear your head and see if England is as good as you remember? i hope this has helped you or just gave you an idea or 2. By the way i still have not found a peanut butter i like (back to being depressed)

kind regards

Geoffrey

Hi Geoffrey

A very interesting story obvioulsy you have seen both sides of the coin, I just think if i don't do it now, then we will probably be too old to uproot. Then i know that i will regret it, like you say things are going to be very different and somethings we might not like.

I intend to keep some money back for flights just incase we can't settle but hopefully we will love it. I will take your advice and make out two lists.

Good luck with the hunt for peanut butter

Chin up Tania XX

Guest Jaynie

Hi

I really enjoyed reading your post, I read one this morning from somebody who did this the opposite way round (Eng-Aus-Eng).

I hope you get to come back over here with your partner and that your children enjoy their new country.

Good advice too.

Funnily enough my employers of the time asked me the same question. In short, it was through my wife's job.

It was a Lunch Party at Buck Pal in 1990 ... Princess Di, the Queen and D of E, Princess Royal, etc. Me, my wife, and about 2,000 others (including the snipers on the roof of the Palace).

Best regards.

Guest cantwait

Hi

That's a cool story. It's easy to forget that it is not only us trying to leave that have problems, and that the same things apply to those coming in the opposite direction. Good advice about the lists.

Thanks!!

:smile:

Dear Geoffrey,

I am originally American - married a Brit and been in UK for 12 years. Does this mean I GET CRAFT PEANUTBUTTER when I get to Australia???? What a bonus - I haven't found a peanutbutter I like either. All my wobbles are gone! What a great post and a brilliant idea! I look forward to hearing the rest of your story when your return. There are always special challenges in a cross-cultural marriages when you have to choose which culture to live in. In my situation, I think I'm more aware of the challenges (having done it once before) than my husband. You are in the same situation. Best wishes for you all as you begin your journey.

Liz

just to add a little more and maybe im simplyfying the issue, i think its like leaving a job you dont like. after a while you find things you liked about it and sometimes you ask yourself why you left? was it that bad? im sure we have all done it? i think its the same as leaving your home country you have your reasons for leaving and after a while you forget the bad and only remember the good. and i think this is when the problems start?

i dont miss my family as i can talk to them when i want, if i need to see them i turn the computer on and use the camera but i do miss the smallest things eg the peanut butter, i found milo the other day (chocolate powder you mix with water or milk) in asda at trafford park in 3 days the container was empty the sad thing is im not a fan of milo it used to go hard and i would have to throw it away.

im glad people are enjoying the thread, i was un-sure how it would go as its not the norm

Guest Jaynie

Hi Geoffrey,

I know what you mean, I am going back to the UK on Monday for a couple of weeks to visit the rellies, I have ordered ...Cockles, (luv em) Bartons Picallilli (made in St Helens) and my all time fav is Gammon Steaks with Pineapple rings chips, peas and a fried egg! Yummy Yummy. so I will pig out for 2 weeks and that should keep me going for another few years! LOL

Guest yvonne and paul

Great post, some very good advice, it is as you said, everything you leave behind always seem better than they were at the time (school, 1st job, last job, last house ect') I and Yvonne have talked over this issue and believe it will take us around 2 years to start to settle in properly (just as it was each time we've moved in fact) then we will enjoy the rest of our lives:yes:. I hope people reading your post who might be thinking about going back to GB will possibly give some of your ideas a go 1st. I felt for BoltontoBrisbane when I read their posts.

Paul.

Archived