Health Insurance? CIGNA?

InOzOneDay

Hi All

We are looking at private health insurance ready for our move.

1) When I get quotes online, my wife is over 31 so they are adding the Health Care Levy, how do we go about getting that removed, would we need to book insurance over the phone instead of online?

2) Do people have any recommendations of Health insurance providers, we may be having another child in the next 12 months

3) We have spoken with CIGNA who offer 'international' health insurance, basically covers everything anywhere in the world, you pay hospital they pay you if its not a hospital they have a payment plan with... it works out as reasonably cost effective, but does anyone know if I am paying this in the UK from my UK income, can I still claim the discounts / rebate on Australian tax (I'll be australian tax resident)...

Are there any 'health' insurance experts anyone recommends to speak with?

Thanks

Not sure what you mean by it is adding on a levy - the levy comes through your taxation, not from the healthcare provider. And it is nothing to do with being 30 either.

Do you mean you are having an age loading added onto you premiums? If so, I believe you just tell them you have only just moved to Australia and then they will not add it. We were both over 30 when we moved and don't recall any issue with this, why not just wait until you get here and then deal with it ini person.

I called an insurer about your first point this morning. You need to have the letter from medicare confirming that you are a recent migrant There is a number to call on the letter that you get from medicare with the card. The letter you need for insurance purposes takes 7-10 days to send out . I have been told to email this to the insurer and cannot apply online.

Sorry can't help with the other points

I've just done this.

Note; this is not the Medicare levy surcharge which is paid through taxation, it's the Lifetime Health Cover Loading (LHC).http://www.privatehealth.gov.au/dynamic/lifetimehealthcover.aspx

Assuming that you are migrating as a permanent resident, go to the Medicare office when you get here. You will register for Medicare there and then. You should also ask for a Medicate Letter of Eligibility. This just states the date you joined Medicare (your "base" date).

You can then take out a Medical insurance policy within the first year of your "base" date and your age loading on the policy will start at zero regardless of your age.

If you fail to take out medical insurance within the first year then, when you eventually do, the policy premium will be loaded by 2% for every year you are aged over 30.

I'm 46, took out the policy within a year of becoming a PR, and by submitting the letter of eligibility to my insurance company it allowed me to get the policy at the basic premium price plus zero loading for age. Next year it will increase as per the "normal" age loading of 2%pa. (Without the letter of eligibility my premium would have loaded by 32% this year;16 years x 2%), and then an extra 2% each year after that.

Once you have paid LHC loading for 10 years, it is removed provided that you maintain hospital cover.

The LHC loading is a Government "initiative" to try to encourage people to take out private health insurance sooner rather than later in life.

You may also want to check up on the aforementioned Medicare Levy Survharge, just so that you have all the info at hand, and how the two things are related.

https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/Medicare-levy/Medicare-levy-surcharge/

Archived