I'm new here - 24 y/o Londoner lost in Sydney :(

londoncalling

tell him all my family are from glasgow and I used to be in the supporters club and had broxy bear stuff sent out to me several times a year. i don't have bar experience though!

I'll tell him that as it might "swing" him in yr favour! He is from N Ireland not Glasgow. I know three guys from N Ireland, two Celtic and one Rangers. They know each other. One of the Celtic guys is also Arsenal but his Dad is Spurs and he got me a "West Belfast Spurs" shirt, which is my fave shirt.

Do your RSA as soon as you arrive. Part of the job is waitresses as they do a lot of food. They employ a lot of WHV people so you might be lucky if they have vacancies when you arrive.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'll tell him that as it might "swing" him in yr favour! He is from N Ireland not Glasgow. I know three guys from N Ireland, two Celtic and one Rangers. They know each other. One of the Celtic guys is also Arsenal but his Dad is Spurs and he got me a "West Belfast Spurs" shirt, which is my fave shirt.

Do your RSA as soon as you arrive. Part of the job is waitresses as they do a lot of food. They employ a lot of WHV people so you might be lucky if they have vacancies when you arrive.

i think I've probably got some irish somewhere in my dads side of the family lol. My dads side are celtic supporters and Catholics and my mums side are Rangers supporters. Yeah i'm going to do my RSA on my second week. I get a RSA with this package but it's not the NSW one, it's the one that covers a few different states so I'll have to pay extra for the NSW one. I think it's in a classroom

One of the other guys is a Celtic/Arsenal fan and I tried to play a trick on him, giving him a football shirt inside a bag, which he initially thought was a Spurs shirt, but he was shocked when he saw it was Rangers. He said he could wear a Spurs shirt, but never a Rangers one! (Typing this in blue as we are 'Gers!'

Strawberryhills Hotel

strawberryhillshotel.com.au/

The Strawberry Hills has always held a name for itself when it comes to great food. Since our humble beginning the Strawberry Hills has fed it's patrons with ...

54 Google reviews

· Write a review

· Google+ page

[TABLE=class: MsoNormalTable, width: 100]

[TR]

[TD=width: 31][/TD]

[TD] 453 Elizabeth St, Surry Hills NSW 2010

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Some of the staff have been there a long time, whilst others are backpackers here for a few months. They all seem happy to be working there. I saw a job for a waitress in a restaurant in Crown St the other day, and there is also an advert for a number of staff, further down Crown St, for a new restaurant/bar. I can't remember the name, something like 'Massaman'. It COULD be this one as it is at Bondi Beach, and the sign said they are opening in Surry Hills. There is a girl from Liverpool working in the cafe by my flat, and she is on a WHV, so there are jobs about.

[h=3]Mamasan[/h]www.mamasan.com.au/

Hopefully I'll find something then. I can't carry 3 plates so can't work anywhere posh lol. Some little cafe like the one I work in sometimes would be ideal or a restaurant that's kinda similar. This new coffee machine is coming next week too so hopefully I can master that which might help :laugh: What about retail - do you think there might be some xmas temp jobs going around?

Ive just realised im taking the OP's thread off track but he hasn't been back yet so im hoping he doesn't mind! I'll maybe send you a PM instead

Hopefully I'll find something then. I can't carry 3 plates so can't work anywhere posh lol. Some little cafe like the one I work in sometimes would be ideal or a restaurant that's kinda similar. This new coffee machine is coming next week too so hopefully I can master that which might help [emoji23] What about retail - do you think there might be some xmas temp jobs going around?

Ive just realised im taking the OP's thread off track but he hasn't been back yet so im hoping he doesn't mind! I'll maybe send you a PM instead

I like it best when the OP'S thread DOES go off track!! Anyway we are talking about Sydney and settling in and making friends aren't we? I am in Royal Exhibition hotel 100 metres from Strawberry. I am with friends I made here.

The girls in Strawberry usually carry one plate at a time. I don't think it matters if you can't do three!927b63a6e77e69a17bea73a6f268f07e.jpg

With my mate Tim. Typical unfriendly Aussie if you believe the Aussie haters' total BS!

Richard said "All you need is a good attitude and they will look after you! "

i don't think Melbourne is better then Sydney on the friendly stakes ... I think when we on holiday and more relaxed we tend to talk to more people. I've lived in Adelaide and now Melbourne, if anything Adelaide is more friendly, people are curious to know where u come from. I think it takes time to make friends with Aussies because they set in their own routines and with their old friends. They friendly but not inclusive.

I get the part about London where people are coming and going but there's this nuclear group that stays put and keeps welcoming any newbie.

Mahout workplace some places are like that. Specially big corporates. Is no excuse that because u there for a few months not to talk or engage with others. That's stupid but some people think like that. I use to work in a building with over 150 people per floor and 20 floors and your next desk colleague won't bother to say hello. Not even a year later ... The excuse was 'too many people ... Can't be bothered ... Tomorrow there will be someone new'!!! Poor form.

anyway good luck. It takes forever to make good friends.

Maybe Melb has more friendly people than Sydney but I really don't know. I've been here the best part of 3 years and haven't yet got any friends or social circle. I've stopped putting pressure on myself about it but kind of accepted this is the way it is. It does make me rather sad though as I had loads of lifelong mates in the UK. But I sometimes wish I had at least some social life here . I've just worked and not made time to build a social network, and I really regret it.

Maybe Melb has more friendly people than Sydney but I really don't know. I've been here the best part of 3 years and haven't yet got any friends or social circle. I've stopped putting pressure on myself about it but kind of accepted this is the way it is. It does make me rather sad though as I had loads of lifelong mates in the UK. But I sometimes wish I had at least some social life here . I've just worked and not made time to build a social network, and I really regret it.

You sound like you have no life outside of work, which is sad. Most people seem to make friends through work, social and sporting activities, clubs, hobbies, maybe at the pub, or even the church. Even if you can't connect with "Aussies", there are plenty of Brits here too. Have you tried "Meet Ups?" They have activities from 'A to Z.'

How did you keep your 'life long friends' in the UK? Once you leave school, friends don't usually stay friends without common interests as work and relationships soon get in the way.

If nothing else, what about doing some voluntary work?

That said, I've made basically no friends in Sydney

Have you tried:

http://www.meetup.com/cities/au/sydney/events/

Just interested in showing up for work and going home with no after hours culture at all.

LOL sounds exactly like me! Have to work 8 hours a day with colleagues - sure as heck don't want to spend my social after hours with them in some sweaty inner city pub too.

That was fine to do in London and I did it.

But I actually live in a gorgeous part of Sydney and just want to get home to enjoy it.

When you're on a WHV I wonder if you'll notice any difference. Being in backpacker hostels, you'll meet so many other travellers and because you have that in common, you're likely to make lots of friends there.

Totally agree.

As a backpacker on a WHV, I had so many friends from other travellers in the hostel. Even though I am quite shy and don't bond easily. Some friendships were fun but fleeting. Some have endured for years.

You will be isolated in a flat going to work every day BUT being in a hostel is a different kettle of fish entirely.

Even now the OP could go to "backpacker haunts" and meet dozens of people each night. Maybe arrange to meet them socially on other nights too.

Archived