Moving to cairns

Lizzie0309

Ok so lots mixed feelings going on here , it seems to be dangerous place for children what I'm hearing is this true.

Well it will only be dangerous for them (and you) if you insist on swimming in shark, crocodile and stinger infested waters. Otherwise you will be fine. Use the swimming pools, waterfalls and designated swimming areas.

Take a Vitamin B supplement daily and the mozzies won't bite or even bother you.

http://www.naturallivingideas.com/13-natural-ways-to-keep-mosquitoes-away/

she's kindly let us as a family leave with her for a year to experience it and make our mind up wether we would like to stay or not

What a brilliant and perfect idea

just keep freaking out bout the animals and my kids.. X

Thousands of Aussie kids who live in Cairns survive to adulthood quite well you know :smile:

Personally I dislike Cairns.

However, I do love the surrounds like Port Douglas, Mission Beach, The Daintree, Cape Tribulation and Atherton Tablelands.

I am fine with the heat and humidity. It may take you a little while to adjust to it coming from sunny Cambridge :smile: just go troppo and you will be fine I am sure.

Don't feel scared about going........feel excited.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
also the thought of selling all our possions and if it don't work out for us we really will be returning to the uk with nothing and to start from scratch again

You could always put your stuff into storage for a year (or maybe a friend / relative will store it for you)......although personally I would sell everything, use the money on my adventure and start from scratch upon my return. You cannot take this stuff with you when you die and it is very liberating to "let go" and live more simply.

Macanic?! Do you mean mechanic?

If so, work is pretty easy to find. Often found by word of mouth whilst in the pub (speaking from experience) - Cairns is the gateway to four wheel drive and fishing trips to Cape Tribulation, Cape York, The Daintree, The Gulf Savannah, Lakefield National Park. There are hoards of cars that will need mechanical work before or after their trips, and so mechanical work is always available.

Just look at it as one big adventure / holiday, and stop worrying so much.

Good vs bad from what I'm hearing the bad over does the good about cairns :-( not good ,

Goodness me. Just come over and make up your own mind!

And if you don't like Cairns after six months, then move up or down the coast and try somewhere else.

Maybe try Seventeen Seventy - everybody loves it there.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest The Pom Queen
I am moving to cairns permanent to :)

i am not from uk I am from Greece

Cairns is lovely, do you have a job to,go to

Guest The Pom Queen
Yeap

but I have no friends there

What work do you do and how old are you. I would say Cairns is a great place to make friends, but you have a lot of backpackers who come and go.

Guest The Pom Queen
I am 33 years old and I do manager in the city hospitallity

You will be absolutely fine then. Hospitality is a great place to meet friends, I have a few contacts I can send to you although they are mid twenties.

People will have Different views of places in Australia all the time.One Mans Meat is another man's poison.But Calling Cairns a Paradise,is really stretching reality.I have lived in Queensland for 35 years.My Daughter Moved To Cains with her job,We visited her a few times.The Summer we found unbearable,the heat,humidity,and the mosquitoes and insects.I couldn't live there permanently,our daughter lasted 12 months.The insect population there used to block out the windows at night time if you happened to live the curtains open.and the lights on.Thank God for Insect Mesh.But Some managed to get through.And Keeping the Windows Shut at all times makes you electric bill soar.Not a place i would recomend.to immigrate to.No rain from April to November It's usually Wet Wet Wet.I have been Stuck there for days on end in the truck, because of the flooded main road.One way in and one way out.One Thing Good to Say.Townsville is Hotter.

Guest The Pom Queen
People will have Different views of places in Australia all the time.One Mans Meat is another man's poison.But Calling Cairns a Paradise,is really stretching reality.I have lived in Queensland for 35 years.My Daughter Moved To Cains with her job,We visited her a few times.The Summer we found unbearable,the heat,humidity,and the mosquitoes and insects.I couldn't live there permanently,our daughter lasted 12 months.The insect population there used to block out the windows at night time if you happened to live the curtains open.and the lights on.Thank God for Insect Mesh.But Some managed to get through.And Keeping the Windows Shut at all times makes you electric bill soar.Not a place i would recomend.to immigrate to.No rain from April to November It's usually Wet Wet Wet.I have been Stuck there for days on end in the truck, because of the flooded main road.One way in and one way out.One Thing Good to Say.Townsville is Hotter.

lol I can tell you never lived there Zack. Townsville isn't hotter so I don't know where you get that fact from, lower humidity yes, less rainfall yes but not hotter.

The only time there was ever insects all over the windows was when we had a plague of flying ants. There are hardly any flies up here compared to Melbourne.

Hi, I've been travelling up to cairns from sydney for the last 8 months as my husband is working there. I can only tell you that we love it and love it so much we are moving to cairns in January. We are on the northern beaches end Trinity Beach and it's beautiful it might not be for everybody as it is quiet that end. The reasons for us moving well hardly any traffic compared to sydney a much more relaxed lifestyle ( my opinion only). We literally think there is so much to do and we never have enough time to fit it all in.

i am also from the UK been in oz 2 years the summers in sydney are hot but nothing compared to cairns. You will definitely feel the humidity it's something you can't explain until you get off that plane and wow. Don't let it put you off, it's just something you have to try and get used to. The wet season is exactly what it says wet wet wet...but it's so hot your dry again before you know it.

i can't tell you anything about schools but there seems to be loads all over. As for the Mosquitos yes they are a problem but if you are careful and spray the kids and yourself with bushman you will be fine they love me but since using that I've had no problems. The wildlife LOL yes there are certainly crocodiles I spotted one in the sea just off where we are but it's rare they come on the beaches and as many on the site have said there's been no attacks for a long time as long as your sensible take note of the signs they're not there as some people think for show you will be fine. Not seen any snakes and hope I don't in the future. I would certainly come and experience it. I can't wait to move so it can't be that bad.

debbs

Archived