Age limit to migrating

Guest christinevj

Guest christinevj

Hi,

Hubby and I would love to move to Oz....however, we are both over the 45 year old age limit. Is there any one out there who knows of anyone who has been accepted, even though they are older than 45? Hubby has sent off an 'expression of interest' at a vacancy for his line of work, due to be internationally recruited in July...but they do state 45 or under, with exceptions applying. What are the exceptions? Does any one know?

I have no qualifications either, to offfer, although pre-marriage and kids, I did work as a typist/receptionist, but nothing in way of qualifications on paper, but would be willing to do any type of work. (Well, almost!!)

Financially; we have no mortgage or any other debts. Our house is valued at over £250k and we do have savings, so would not put any drain on Australia.

We also have three children age 13, 11 and 9. Which is probably why we have decided at this stage in our lives to emigrate. We just want the best for our children and feel Oz can offer them this.

I really would be very grateful if any one can reply......

Christinevj

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Christine

Welcome to Poms in Oz.

Lots of people have emigrated despite being 45 or over. It can be done via the employer-sponsorship route, mainly. Please see the following links:

Employer Sponsored Workers - Workers - Visas & Immigration

Information Booklets - Applications & Forms - Visas & Immigration

The brief gist is that there is no upper agelimit on the temporary 457 visa and waivers of the 45 age limit are possible with the ENS and RSMS visas, which are the two permanent ones.

There are possibilities as well but since Hubby is in touch with a company that will be recruiting, I would guess that this is the visa area that you need to bone up on.

What does Hubby do, by the way, and where are you thinking of heading for in Oz?

Best wishes

Gill

Guest christinevj

Hi Gill,

Many thanks for replying....Hubby is a Prison Officer and has been for over ten years. A lot of the other officers where he works, had mentioned that Oz is recruiting internationally for Prison Officers, so we decided to have a look on the web. The conditions sound a lot better over there and although hubby is over the 45 age limit, we had hoped that his long service record and experience of working in the different area's of the prison, might sway the Ozzie recruitment agencies. It seems that Western Australia is doing the bulk of the recruitment at the moment . At least we can try....and if they say no, then we'll accept it and get on with our lives....... but it would be nice if they said yes!

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Christine

I've heard about the WA recruitment drive in the Department of Corrective Services.

It would seem that they are looking to fill jobs in "regional" WA.

How old is hubby now?

Best wishes

Gill

Guest christinevj

Hi,

Hubby received an E mail yesterday....he's too old! Guess Oz sticks to the age limit rules and doesn't make exceptions. Shame really... I know New Zealand's age limit is 55, but we don't want to go to N.Z. Pretty gutted really. Christinevj

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Christine

Hmmm. Perhaps the DCS have had loads of expressions of interest from people of under 45. Don't despair, though, because the potential list of candidates will prove to be self-pruning! Some of the prisons in "regional" Australia are in the back of beyond and people with choices would definitely baulk at having to go to some of the locations.

So you may yet find that the DCS will come back to you wanting to know if you would consider some of their less easy-to-fill positions.

In the meantime, how od is OH exactly and how old are you, exactly?

Provided you are not too far over 45, you could consider re-training in Oz via a Student Visa, in the hope of an employer-sponsored PR visa thereafter.

For example, fince you are inteersted in WA, Hubby could do a bricklaying, plastering or roofing course in WA. Alternatively you could do childcare, hairdressing or cookery. All are available in or close to Perth.

The Student Visa route is NOT cheap, but it is the only option for some. It is not a guaranteed pathway to PR either but as long as you research everything carefully it is possible to avid coming unstuck.

The first thing is to choose a couse which is on the MODL and likely to remain on it:

Is your occupation in demand? - Workers - Visas & Immigration

Students - Visas & Immigration

The best thing would be to get some professional advice. For the course end of things, I'd suggest a word with Study Options in London.

STUDY OPTIONS

For the visa end of it, send an e-mail to Alan Collett of Go Matilda with a request for a copy of his Student Visa factsheet. His e-mail address is alan-at-gomatilda-com. Please use logic to work out the exact e-mail address. Apparently if exact addresses are posted on the web, robot spammers get hold of them somehow and make pests of themselves.

Best wishes

Gill

Archived