England to France on English passports

PatW

Last month was the first time I had driven in France/Belgium, we used the hired car from England with no extra excess, no problem driving on wrong side of road or wrong side of car with gears, the only scary bits were driving through towns/villages with hardly any life form eerily creepy.

But we were only there for three nights and did not drive on one of the days, if going for a longer driving holiday then I would probably go the way suggested by newjez.

Which car hire company did you use and what part of Brisbane are you in, please?

We're planning to go for, probably, only 2-3 days at most. Have been searching my Family Tree Maker files and found 2 men mentioned at Thiepval and another at Longuenesse (St Omer) Souvenir Cemetery, nr Calais. His was a sorry story: shipped out to Canada after their mother died, joined the Canadian Infantry (made out he was a year older), wrote his sister that he was being shipped to France and was very excited that he would see her, but went straight on to France and was killed in action (head wounds; fractured skull). 18yo.

Which car hire company did you use and what part of Brisbane are you in, please?

We're planning to go for, probably, only 2-3 days at most. Have been searching my Family Tree Maker files and found 2 men mentioned at Thiepval and another at Longuenesse (St Omer) Souvenir Cemetery, nr Calais. His was a sorry story: shipped out to Canada after their mother died, joined the Canadian Infantry (made out he was a year older), wrote his sister that he was being shipped to France and was very excited that he would see her, but went straight on to France and was killed in action (head wounds; fractured skull). 18yo.

We used Europcar, pick up and drop at Heathrow, it cost an extra 15quid per day for the 4 days we were in France/Belguim. My tip for getting a good deal and no search engine has come up with anything better for our last two trips to UK and also my Brother back in May, when he went to pick-up (local to Leeds) the girl could not believe what he was paying something like 12 quid a day. You need to get on the Europcar main website (not UK or Aus, I will try and get a link for you) they do a 15% discount for expats.

We are Bayside of Brisbane, Redland City area.

Regarding the war cemeteries, one would have to be one hard B@$t@(d not to be moved, to see grave stones with unnamed soldiers, they may know the nationality, and or the rank, and or the regiment, one can only imagine what was left of them to only get that sort of info, very courageous men and boys, all of them and I thank them. Good luck with your search and holiday.

Keith