Medicare

Sammy77

Hi

Hope you can help ☺️ roughly how much is Medicare going to set us back for a family of 6?

Hubby not got round to doing it before he started work so looks like I'm going to have to do it when I get there.

thanks Lisa x

Hi thanks we are on a 457 visa, so believe can't go for PR for 2 years.

Any recommendations for private health insurance

thanks Lisa x

If you going with a permanent residency then you are all covered. Something still need paying for

if your not going PR then you will need private health insurance

Hi

Hope you can help ☺️ roughly how much is Medicare going to set us back for a family of 6?

Hubby not got round to doing it before he started work so looks like I'm going to have to do it when I get there.

thanks Lisa x

I think previous poster got confused as you mentioned 'Medicare'. Medicare is the free govt healthcare here in Australia.

Private Health Insurance - you need to get cover that is for your 457 visa. We used Bupa but I've heard good things about Medibank too.

Also - not everyone needs to wait 2 years to get Permanent Residency!

Hi thanks we are on a 457 visa, so believe can't go for PR for 2 years.

Any recommendations for private health insurance

thanks Lisa x

Medicare is the Australian national health service, it doesn't work the same way as the UK one, but it is the national scheme. It doesn't cost anything to join but there are often fees as you go along. You would only be able to join in a restricted sense anyway as a temporary visa holder. You must have had to take out private health insurance in order to get your visa in the first place.

Regarding visas, no there is no reason why you cannot apply for a PR visa if you qualify for one, there is certainly no time limit. Many people, myself included, got a PR visa without ever setting foot in Australia.

The need for private will vary both by individual and by where you live. In some states, ambulances are free. In some they are not. In WA for example, an ambulance will cost a minimum of $700. So, many people have ambulance cover. Dental work is also VERY expensive in Oz and not covered by medicare. So, it is a good idea to have that covered as well. Hospital cover requirements vary according to how much you earn and if you think you might want it down the line.

Archived