Wheelchair assistance

LindaH27

Hi I'm considering flying from Manchester to Sydney in October with Etihad as my daughter there is expecting her first baby. I'm 64 years old with some mobility problems and will be flying alone. I use a stick but would need a wheelchair at Manchester airport Abu Dhabi and Sydney airports as it's too far to walk but could climb a few stairs to the plane if necessary and am able to move about the plane myself. I'm also hearing impaired. I will be flying business class. Is it possible to book a wheelchair for all these travel points and is there a charge?

Also could the cabin crew be alerted to my hearing problems as I don't hear announcements etc.?

I had a bad experience with another airline (wheelchair didn't turn up and nearly missed my connection) which put me off going again but as it's her first baby my daughter would like me there and Im trying to get the courage up to go again!

Thanks for any help you could give

Linda

When my grandma came out to see us, we asked the airline for assistance for her due to her age (83) and the fact that she has limited mobility with arthritis. They (Qantas) could not have been more helpful. We paid for business class for her, and she was looked after from the second she checked in. They took her in a wheelchair through to the business class departure lounge, got her drinks etc, and then came and took her on to the plane. At Singapore again she had wheelchair assistance, and again in Sydney when she arrived. I would have thought that Etihad would provide a similar service if you were to phone and ask. It didn't cost anything extra with Qantas, so I would imagine it would be free with Etihad too. With regards to your hearing problems, I would probably just advise the cabin crew when you board. Also when you are booking you may be able to make a note on your booking, although I'm not sure.

In a similar situation as you and used Etihad............Simple answer do not use them ..............had a terrible experience in Abu Dabi ...corralled like cattle in a tiny space and no communication. We were not the only ones, loads others of all nationalities, totally chaotic. Got the feeling this was standard in Abu Dabi. Emirates are good. Check at your checkin that it is all organized on the forward flights and remind the hostess before your flight lands you have a wheelchair booked. There is no charge. Enjoy your flight, if you are business class should be ok.

Archived