Thinking of Newcastle Help required.

Hi there I am new to the boards. I require a little help advice. Myself my husband and our 4 kids are considering moving to the newcastle area. My hubby is a resident but has been living in the uk for 3 years. He however is next to hopeless at telling me about the area what to expect.

Basically We need to know of areas to avoid so far Hubby has said to stear clear of Stockton and Carrington. We need a family friendly area where rents are not OTT. Good transport links would be handy as I cant drive.

Hubbys parents are in Kotara south so would be good to be able to visit them reasonably easily.

What is it like raising Kids over there? Will i notice any diffrence in my cost of living?

Basically tell me what you can about Newcastle and the surrounding suburbs.

What about the emigrating bit? Does it cost a fortune to ship your stuff. honestly i will be grateful for any and all advice.

Many thanks x

• 5 months later...

Hi there!

I grew up in Newcastle, but have been living in the UK for the past 4 years. I may be biased but I think Newcastle is a great place to bring up children generally. Places that fall under 'Lake Macquarie' as opposed to Newcastle are great - Charlestown, Warners Bay, Eleebana, Speers Point, Teralba, Cardiff are all good choices and close to Kotara (I went to Kotara High School but lived in Charlestown).

You should notice that your costs of living go down...fruit and veg is generally much cheaper out there as it doesnt have to be imported! Meat is mostly cheaper too in my opinion. There are plenty of good state schools in the general area, both primary and high.

There are still plenty of places that have a good community feel to them - and there are great sporting clubs and groups, public pools etc for the kids if they are that way inclined. The shopping centres are great too - Westfield in Kotara I am sure you will love and Charlestown Square are the two main malls. I personally loved growing up there - its small enough that you know most places but not so small that you get bored as a kid!

There aren't as many corner stores like there are here, which might take you a little getting used to - harder to just duck out for milk and bread for example depending where you live.

Not sure if any of this helps at all - i feel like i am going on a bit - but if you have any questions i would be happy to try and help!

Nae

Archived