British Passport

whiteknight7878

Hey guys,

Born in England in 1957 and looking to go back in 2016. Currently OZ citizen with OZ passport, but finding so many hoops & hurdles to get a British Passport here in Australia. I've got my full size UK Birth Certificate in my possession, but British Passport Office also want my late Russian parent's Marriage Certificate which I have ordered from the UK where they were married in 1951. The UK Passport Office also are asking for my dad's Birth Certificate which I have no chance of getting considering he escaped communist Russia just after the war. My mother was forced into a labour camp in Germany, but after the war she was liberated. Anyway, after the war both my parents became "Displaced Persons" which made them eligible to go to England courtesy of "Operation Westward Ho" which meant they could live and work there legally. I guess all the documents the Passport Office in England are asking me to send must be for identification purposes, but If I can't supply my dad's birth certificate what can I do? Also, they are asking for a COUNTERSIGNATORY as follows:

"A countersignatory must be a professional person or a person of similar standing, who enjoys a good reputation in the community, possesses credentials that can be checked, who would have something to lose by wrongly countersigning an application. The countersignatory must have also known the applicant for at least two years and hold a current British or Irish Passport. In addition IPS must be able to contact the countersignatory if necessary."

So now I have to try to find in Australia a professional person who holds a British Passport and who I have known for at least two years - no idea where I'll find one of those. Perhaps I should just travel to England on my Australian Passport and apply for a British Passport over there. I have corresponded by email with a professional person in the UK for more than two years who holds a British Passport - does that count as "knowing" that person? Any advice on what I should do to get a British Passport without pulling all my hair out??

:ssign16:

Hi, I'm not sure if I can help you as yours seems a bit more complicated than the average 'overseas British citizen' situation but do you actually need a British passport? I have been looking into what I need to do to get my daughter her passport once we get to the UK and was worried about how she could stay in the country without one and from what I can tell she only needs a passport if she intends to travel and doesn't already have a passport. The passport is obviously one way of proving she is a citizen but it's not the only way. She wasn't born in UK but has 2 British parents (in their own right) and that automatically makes her a citizen. I don't know the 'ins and outs' of it but it might be worth you calling the passport line/citizenship enquiries to see if you actually need a passport?

As for the counter signatory person it's just like any passport application, they need to verify that the photo is of you! There must be a Pom you know who can sign it for you?? It doesn't have to be a friend....someone you work with maybe or know through someone else? If you have been in correspondence with a Brit they could sign it....but have you met? It is of course up to them whether they want to sign it but it is a legal document and once they sign it they are liable for claiming the picture is you if that makes sense?

hope that has helped and sorry if my information is incorrect.....I also welcome correction of my above statement!

I'm sure I've read before that if you enter Britain on an Australian passport, it only gets stamped with a 6 month visa, hence the need for a passport to reside. JP's are usually able to verify documents for passports so not sure why it needs to be a British person. Again, I could be wrong though.

Thanks guys,

I think I'll just pay a fee and get a UK travel & work expert here in Australia to figure it all out. There's a mob called 1st Contact - hope they can help. Also, a phone call to the UK PASSPORT OFFICE may also help. I'll keep you guys informed about my next step.

PASSPORT ADVICE:

Telephone: 0300 222 0000

From outside the UK: +44 (0)300 222 0000

Textphone: 18001 0300 222 0222

Monday to Friday, 8am to 8pm

Weekends and public holidays, 9am to 5:30pm

I feel your pain. Having similar problems with my Aunty. Getting conflicting info from all the government departments. Unfortunately it seems to vary depending on who you talk to. I'll add any info to my post and will follow yours with interest. Good luck. Hopefully we will both get the issues resolved soon.

"A countersignatory must be a professional person or a person of similar standing, who enjoys a good reputation in the community, possesses credentials that can be checked, who would have something to lose by wrongly countersigning an application. The countersignatory must have also known the applicant for at least two years and hold a current British or Irish Passport. In addition IPS must be able to contact the countersignatory if necessary."

So now I have to try to find in Australia a professional person who holds a British Passport and who I have known for at least two years - no idea where I'll find one of those. Perhaps I should just travel to England on my Australian Passport and apply for a British Passport over there. I have corresponded by email with a professional person in the UK for more than two years who holds a British Passport - does that count as "knowing" that person? Any advice on what I should do to get a British Passport without pulling all my hair out??

:ssign16:

I don't know if the rules have changed but there used to be some small print somewhere saying that if you didn't know any Brits, then a Commonwealth citizen of equivalent standing (e.g. your doctor) can sign instead. That's what I did.

By the way, have you looked into your pension and tax situation if you're planning to move back permanently? You won't be able to claim the Australian pension and your superannuation will be taxed.

I'm sure I've read before that if you enter Britain on an Australian passport, it only gets stamped with a 6 month visa, hence the need for a passport to reside. JP's are usually able to verify documents for passports so not sure why it needs to be a British person. Again, I could be wrong though.

When we went back I had an Australian passport and was just given a 6 month visa, I didn't really need the UK passport as I was British born. You don't need a UK passport to reside if you are a citizen.

Archived