Overseas Teacher

Gurpreet kaur

Hi All

I am qualified Indian teacher (now Australian resident) with 8 yrs of teaching experience. I recently got VIT Provisional registration and don't know what to do next to take up teaching career in Victoria.

Can anyone guide??

Hi Gurpreet,

I wanted to teach so I inquired for teaching everywhere. I haven't taught before even have Bachelor with mathematics and economics, MBA , Masters in Economics Degrees With Bachelor in Education too.

As I am living in SA so they said if I have to teach I need to do Graduate Diploma in Education with specialization in business admin, mathematics and economics for teaching so I am applying for that now.

You already have edge by having registered with VIT so good for you. I think if you apply for jobs you may get them depending on your specializations.

Second thing is write an email to DECD and give your details they ll guide you good. Or you can call them too.

Cheers,

Annoisa

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Yash

Get her registered with the teaching body in the state of your choice.

Thanks for the reply! What exactly do you mean by register? Will she have to undergo a full fledged course or simply take a license? Also, if she takes one in New South Wales will that not be valid in say Tasmania?

Thanks for the reply! What exactly do you mean by register? Will she have to undergo a full fledged course or simply take a license? Also, if she takes one in New South Wales will that not be valid in say Tasmania?

Hi yashr, for registration we have to contact the state registration department as in South Australia is TRB (u can search on google though) and in victoria if i m not wrong its VIT for other states you have to google and this registration is with some fee and has validity for some period. If she changes state she can have new with new state. I searched all through google and went my nearest DECD office too for information. It all helped me.

wishes!

Thanks Annoisa, every state has some difference guidelines on which they work for registering. I think you are qualified enough for getting registered.

Thanks preet,

But in my case I have to get registered first, for that either i do IELTs with 7.5 in two modules and 8 or 8.5 in listening and speaking. My third option is to do one or two year teaching degree from here. it will automatically lead me to registration as a teacher. I will not do IELTS because in SA schools they still prefer local qualified teachers so I m thinking to do one year teaching course in business admin and mathematics or Economics as a specialization. it will lead me to teaching these courses at year 11 and 12. And that sounds good.

best wishes for your efforts.

• 1 month later...

In WA you need to evidence that you have done a minimum 45 supervised teacher placement. Is that not the same in all states? There for you would need to complete a teaching Diploma as previously mentioned. It doesn't matter if you have 15 degrees, Masters and Doctorates. If you haven't got the proven experience and Diploma you can't register to teach. I guess it would make a mockery out of the teaching profession if anyone could get a degree and start teaching?

In WA you need to evidence that you have done a minimum 45 supervised teacher placement. Is that not the same in all states? There for you would need to complete a teaching Diploma as previously mentioned. It doesn't matter if you have 15 degrees, Masters and Doctorates. If you haven't got the proven experience and Diploma you can't register to teach. I guess it would make a mockery out of the teaching profession if anyone could get a degree and start teaching?

yeah Benj,

you are right. teaching degree is important for teaching but if you have bachelors qualification say in maths and science one year qualification as a teacher can help in starting a career as a teacher in South Australia. Sop I want to start from there.But for this diploma even they need at least three subjects already done in Bachelors like i m applying for Maths Economics and administration. But I also completed coursework of Phd in my previous study in economics and left Phd to come to Australia. That may give me points too in teaching but Au is difficult place. Once I apply for admission, I am not sure about it. All depends how many people i have to compete to get admission. But keep on track and not losing hope is my key here.

Wishes

xx

Archived