I need to go home

MelbourneTractor

I love it here but I just can't do it anymore

There is a contradiction in your words. How can you both love living in Australia, yet 'not do it any more?' If you hate it in Australia, that makes more sense.

There is nothing wrong with wanting to go home, but I always think it's better to stay until you get your permanent residence, or better, Australian citizenship. You never know how you will feel when you arrive back in the UK. You would not be the first person to regret it, because sometimes, Australia 'grows' on you.

I went back for twelve years, and I got to love it there again, but it took some time to settle in. In fact, it was just emigrating a second time. If you do go back, do it in November, so you have to experience a complete Pommie autumn/winter. The same for a holiday, come to think of it so you see it at its worst.

Sometimes there is just no rhyme nor reason for why one feels the way one does. If you don't fit you don't fit but, word of warning, don't think of it as going back - what you had is gone but the core structures may be there. Think of it as moving forward to a new adventure, hopefully in a place that fits you. Glad you've talked to your OH!

'Emigrating for a second time,' as I called it (and a third time when I moved back to Sydney.) When my brother Neil went back, for a holiday, after many years here, he was angry because he had lost all his connections to England. He went round all the old places, but he couldn't 'see' himself as ever having lived there.

Archived