Migration Health Rules and Factors to Affect Visa Application

Mark Jones

Hi, we have just registered to your forum in the hope of gaining some experience based knowledge from people who have gone through the visa application process.

Our only son emigrated to Oz after meeting an Ozzy girl on holiday in Ibiza of all places. They are now married and living in Sydney.

My wife and I are seriously considering moving out to Oz to be near him obviously but also to be close by for probable grand-children.

We have been given 'expert' advice regarding the CPV and the ridiculous cost of same but have accepted that if that's the price then it has to be paid.

Unfortunately my wife had cancer 3 1/2 years ago which after a major operation was removed and she has been clear ever since. She does however rely upon medical supplies and medication taken regularly and for the rest of her life. We understand that part of the application process involves a medical panel who make decisions based upon medical history of applicants. One determining factor of this is the annual cost of medication. We have discovered the annual cost within the UK for the medication and supplies but cannot find out what the Australian threshold is to check if we would be above or below the figure allowed.

Basically we are being asked to forge ahead with the initial visa applications costing circa £2000 and submit all our details including the medical histories and take a chance on being refused. The cost of this initial visa is not refundable. This just seems to me to be unfair.

We would be very grateful indeed if anyone on this forum could provide some information or advice where we may be able to get information from.

Thanking you in advance,

Mark & Diane Jones

Chesterfield, Derbyshire, UK.

Basically we are being asked to forge ahead with the initial visa applications costing circa £2000 and submit all our details including the medical histories and take a chance on being refused. The cost of this initial visa is not refundable. This just seems to me to be unfair.

That's very good advice IMO, and to be brutally honest it's going to be the only way you'll find out for sure whether Australia will accept you or not.

As to the fairness of it, you pay the money for your application to be assessed, it doesn't guarantee you a visa.

Which visa are you going for, BTW? You need to consider if you have a skill on the SOL or CSOL, the relevant years work experience, and your age too, and possibly go for an English language test - some or all parts depending on which visa you're going for.

We will be applying via the contributory parent visa route.

At late 50's we wont be too bothered about skills points.

All the visas are the same, you pay upfront before you find out about the medical.

MAybe you should speak to an agent with experience in medical cases, like George Lombard?

It would second the recommendation to consult George Lombard with your case, he has a medical expert in the team who can opine on your chances of successfully passing the medical. But I think there is only one way to know for sure and that is to apply and see, so that maybe something you have to get your head around in terms of cost. We all pay the application free without a guaranteed result.

Edited by Bungo