Hi any info on places to avoid around the bayside in brisbane

Guest northernlove

Guest northernlove

So from my other post we have found out we are pregnant, still weighing up our choices and want to get every bit of information I can, basically we like Birkdale and can get a half decent place for our budget of 450000 but not the place we would choose if we were actually planning a family I've read that Alexadra hills is a dump so not going there we like Manly but its expensive Wynumm is cheaper but not knowing the area we would like to know particular areas to avoid in Manly and Wynumm West, we are also open to suggestions with our budget but must be south side. Any help will be appreciated as the clock is ticking so to speak.

Congratulations!!

I live in Wellington Point, which is Bayside and we are very settled here. Manly's good, so is Birkdale. Not all of Alex Hills is dodgy, but I personally wouldn't live there (no train line). Cleveland and Ormiston are also nice areas. Victoria Point and Thornlands are a bit further down but also lovely areas.

There aren't really obvious 'bad' areas - when we were house hunting in the areas you mention there was a right mixture of new, old, nice and ugly houses in a street. We drove round the areas before we went to open houses to see if we liked them, checking out how busy the roads were, how well kept the gardens were, how many people kept extra cars on their front gardens, if there were dogs barking etc.

Where are you at the moment?? You will have to consider school catchments as well.

Guest northernlove

we are in new farm at the moment which we never wanted to leave as it's such a great place to live we can't afford a house here unfortunately and will not live in a unit with a child.

Congratulations!!

I live in Wellington Point, which is Bayside and we are very settled here. Manly's good, so is Birkdale. Not all of Alex Hills is dodgy, but I personally wouldn't live there (no train line). Cleveland and Ormiston are also nice areas. Victoria Point and Thornlands are a bit further down but also lovely areas.

There aren't really obvious 'bad' areas - when we were house hunting in the areas you mention there was a right mixture of new, old, nice and ugly houses in a street. We drove round the areas before we went to open houses to see if we liked them, checking out how busy the roads were, how well kept the gardens were, how many people kept extra cars on their front gardens, if there were dogs barking etc.

Where are you at the moment?? You will have to consider school catchments as well.

Hi Tina0101 do you have children? Just wondering about the schools in Wellington point as this is where we are thinking of?

We live in Wynnum. There are some less desirable areas but also some lovely areas of Wynnum so it's the same as anywhere really. Feel free to PM me with any streets and I can let you know what I know. One thing you should do if looking to buy anywhere in Brisbane is look at the Brisbane City council website and check flood maps. They have interactive maps and house by house reports that show the likelihood of flooding and where that flood water comes from (Creeks, Rivers, overland etc).

This has proved useful in our searches

[emoji1]

kde2014, I have sent you a pm :-)

northernlove, Deffo check out the flood maps and places that has recent issues when the bad weather hit. I know Bayside was relatively unscathed when you compare it to other areas, but I was surprised at the number of major roads that flooded (I drive from Wellington Point to East Brisbane each day).

The flood maps differ so much for Brisbane, just keep away from creeks and very flat areas such as New Farm, Bullimba etc. We are currently in Ascot which is great and would highly recommend however we have been lucky enough to buy in Bowen Hills so more central and rare for Bowen Hills (which is a low spot) does not flood ever as it is on the top of a hill. Set your mind n an area and keep trying as cheaper properties do come up, just don't stick around for long.

S

• 4 weeks later...

Be careful where ever you go.The main thing is Flooded Areas,and there's more of them than not.Then there's areas like say Forrest Lake.Huge Termite Problems, Australia has a spreading Fire Ant Problem.Then There's noisey Neighbors Australia's Biggest dispute Problem.Loud Thumping Music,Drunken All night Parties.With Thin Poorly Built Houses You can Imagine What Some have to put up with.HOON'S Is another problem Youths racing around the streets with loud exhausts and thumping loud music.Me i wouldn't live in the suburbs. Any Suburb,acreage living is the way to go.

Archived