Are we kidding ourselves ?

bristolman

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply
what you trying say , how about cooling solar panels and heating a pool in oz my idea :)

Yeah but an idea is one thing, putting it into production is another. We will have to import a load of cheap labour on 457 visas, preferably non English speakers so they can't spill our secrets to the locals.

My Leccy bill at the moment is average of $250 to $280 for two months, we have 2 fridges a chest freezer, 3 mobiles and 2 ipads and a laptop, we never turn our computer off, saves a lot as I go to bed late OH is up for work about 4.30am, I don't use a lot of lighting at night, light left on in hallway all night for the kids incase they needs to go to the toilet, 2 TV's but second one hardly used.

$280 is using the air- con a lot in Summer

our gas is usually $160 for Gas cooking and Gas hot water, we have Gas ducted Heating, we have used it a fair bit when it has been very cold on average 4hrs a night my bill was $340 for the 3 months which I was happy with as I know The ducted heating is fairly expensive to run

No one can believe my Leccy is so cheap, my friends is on average $800 to $1000 for 2 months "GULP" I'd be crying lol

Yeah maybe combined solar panel hot water system lol

Many years ago I holidayed on Crete in an apartment with solar panels which solely heated the water (pre the photo electric cells of now) and there was no boiler - quite a basic set up. What struck me then was despite long sunny days around 30C (this was in September) the water was barely warm enough for a decent shower in the evening (and by morning, forget it as the water was cold).

My Leccy bill at the moment is average of $250 to $280 for two months, we have 2 fridges a chest freezer, 3 mobiles and 2 ipads and a laptop, we never turn our computer off, saves a lot as I go to bed late OH is up for work about 4.30am, I don't use a lot of lighting at night, light left on in hallway all night for the kids incase they needs to go to the toilet, 2 TV's but second one hardly used.

$280 is using the air- con a lot in Summer

our gas is usually $160 for Gas cooking and Gas hot water, we have Gas ducted Heating, we have used it a fair bit when it has been very cold on average 4hrs a night my bill was $340 for the 3 months which I was happy with as I know The ducted heating is fairly expensive to run

No one can believe my Leccy is so cheap, my friends is on average $800 to $1000 for 2 months "GULP" I'd be crying lol

Well that is opposite extremes there, neither figure would be average, yours is remarkably low and your friends remarkably high.

Many years ago I holidayed on Crete in an apartment with solar panels which solely heated the water (pre the photo electric cells of now) and there was no boiler - quite a basic set up. What struck me then was despite long sunny days around 30C (this was in September) the water was barely warm enough for a decent shower in the evening (and by morning, forget it as the water was cold).

Solar water heating has come a long way as well, it is possible to make your own with black pipe and some sheets of glass but they aren't terribly efficient.

It doesn't matter how hot the weather is if the system is inefficient.

Well everyone has a opinion but we believe although solar , wind , wave can be used for energy it is not enough with current technology only nuclear can provide the solution.

As for heating , pipe colours do make a difference, yes have seen black pipes in Australia up to 90c , whereas replacing with white pipes down to 50c . All relative to what you need , in this case didn't want hot pipe work so went with white .

Well everyone has a opinion but we believe although solar , wind , wave can be used for energy it is not enough with current technology only nuclear can provide the solution.

As for heating , pipe colours do make a difference, yes have seen black pipes in Australia up to 90c , whereas replacing with white pipes down to 50c . All relative to what you need , in this case didn't want hot pipe work so went with white .

I think a combination of solar, wind, wave and even hydro could provide enough power if done right.

Yes for hot water pipes black is obviously best. It's why I would never have a black car in Australia.

Mine wasn't an opinion it was based on my life and actual bills

I think a combination of solar, wind, wave and even hydro could provide enough power if done right.

Yes for hot water pipes black is obviously best. It's why I would never have a black car in Australia.

Don't think these are ever going to be enough . Nuclear energy will be the future, yes there are risks but these will have to be managed and better engineered.

in the UK we have nuclear submarines , and bombers , under water for 3 months at a time , only energy and power provided by nuclear fusion , no oil no gas no solar no electricity supply. Supporting what is like a small village , surely this is the future .

Don't think these are ever going to be enough . Nuclear energy will be the future, yes there are risks but these will have to be managed and better engineered.

I fully support nuclear to be honest, absolutely nothing can ever be consider 100% foolproof, all we can do is minimise the risks which are very very minimal as it is.

Lets be honest it's going take more than a few echo friendly kids to combate climate change . Future Energy consumption is only going to increase , intelligence would be best used in finding ways to provide cleaner energy ie ... More wave energy projects / research , nuclear power , less burning of fossil fuels.

Sorry shelley but have to ask, is your other half replying to some threads as the manner in which you post seems to change occasionally ?

Archived