Can I work for an Aussie company whilst living in the UK?

CameronsDad

Hi

i have a visa application lodged as per my signature below but a company want me to start sooner. I don't really have any other visa options that would allow me to go and work there sooner so is there an option of being based in the UK and working for the Australian company until my visa comes through? And what would be the financial implications of that scenario?

Thanks

Yes of course you can, loads of people work for overseas incorporated companies, I have for most of the last twenty five years as I work for multinationals.

So long as they administer UK PAYG or you work as a contractor and deal with your own UK taxes it will be fine.

I suspect that you may be referring to an Australian company without a UK presence of any type rather than a multinational company. If this is the case it will really be problematic for the employer I believe. As has been stated they will need to be registered for PAYE and pay Employer NIC. They will also have to comply with a whole raft of UK employment law. I suspect there would have to be a company registered in the UK with a UK bank account and Registered Office before they can take on UK employees.

Surely if you are paid in Australia and are seen as ordinarily resident there you can work anywhere

What do you mean?

OP is not in Australia.

And where an employee is physically / geographically is highly relevant for taxation and application of employment law.

Archived