Mechanical fitters?

kylemac91

Hi there,

I'm a mechanical fitter currently in Perth on a WHV. I don't my papers in Scotland so I realise that they're worth nothing over here unless Australian recognised. I was quoted $2,900 to get them changed over by get qualified Australia and I'm just wondering if it's worth doing? I'm currently working as a labourer in the city and hating it. If I could get a job doing my own trade I would be much happier and it's better paid.

If if anyone can help me out I would be very grateful.

My experience was gained over 7 & 1/2 years in hydro electric power stations, a coal fired power station, dams and fabrication workshops. (6 1/2 years with one company, and a little over a year with a contracting company doing refurbishments)

Thanks,

Kyle.

My husband is a mechanical fitter and we got granted our permanent residency visa (based on his trade) last November. Part of the permanent migration process was to have his certificates transferred into the Ozzie equivalent which he did through the TRA and it cost just under £1,000. In order to do it he had to send them all of his certificates and also in-depth detailed references or statuary declarations for every company he's worked for, this included listing every tool he's ever used and every task he completed when working for each company. I twas probably the hardest part of the whole migration process but it was compulsory... if you're planning on staying on in Australia after your WHV expires you'd have to get it done anyway... hope that helps?

$2,900 sounds way steep. I would contact a few institutions and see what they say. Do you have a time served apprenticeship? I got my degree certificate ratified at UWA and they gave me a certificate that looked better than the one I got from Birmingham Uni. As soon as people here see the UWA emblem on the top they don't ask any more questions.:wink:

Didn't cost me anything as our landlord at the time was a lecturer there and he kindly offered to take my certificates in.

Guest ggarcka

Hi my OH is a qualified toolmaker and I wondered if anyone knows what his chances are of retraining as a fitter?

Hi Aconcannon, thanks for the info. I have been in contact with the TRA but they put me in to contact with another place that deals with electrical licensing. You wouldn't happen to have any of the info of who you contacted by any chance would you? Like an email adress, or contact number or something. Sounds like a lot of hassle but it's something Id be willing to do to get myself these australian certs as I really want to work my trade over here and gain some new experience.

Thanks for your help. Kyle.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @kylemac91. We used a solicitor to help us gain our permanent residency so he pretty much just told us what needed doing/supplying and we just sent it to him - he was the one who dealt with the TRA etc so I have no contact details at all I'm sorry. It was 100% the TRA though who assessed my husbands qualifications though, but he's a mechanical engineer and if you're an electrical engineer then maybe it is a different company who assess your qualifications? I think VETASSES (or something like that) is another company who assess quals. Could you not contact a migration agent/solicitor and pretend you want them to help you just to get some free advice?

Archived