Remote working job - pay and tax advice needed

gloucester girl

Hi!

I am currently applying for a remote-working job. The head office is based in Australia, where we will be moving to shortly. The job is setting up educational resources. They need teachers with experience to do this, which I have (6 years). So how much how should the hourly rate be? Any ideas? I was thinking of 30 dollars an hour. [They want me to suggest how much I will work for.]

I guess that I will be working as a freelancer. What tax am I liable to pay? Do I have to pay GST and income tax? What happens regarding pension contributions and health insurance?

Thanks in advance

Definitely ask for more than $30 an hour - I earn more than that and I'm a fairly low level admin assistant. If they expect you to be an independent contractor rather than an employee you will need oir own liability insurance and you should factor the cost of this, plus things like accountant fees and super contributions, in to your hourly rate. Do some research in to what jobs like this might pay, add a bit more, then ask for that amount. Definitely way more than $30 an hour though. Probably nearer $60 an hour and possibly even more.

Hi!

I am currently applying for a remote-working job. The head office is based in Australia, where we will be moving to shortly. The job is setting up educational resources. They need teachers with experience to do this, which I have (6 years). So how much how should the hourly rate be? Any ideas? I was thinking of 30 dollars an hour. [They want me to suggest how much I will work for.]

I guess that I will be working as a freelancer. What tax am I liable to pay? Do I have to pay GST and income tax? What happens regarding pension contributions and health insurance?

Thanks in advance

I have no idea on rate but good advice from NicF. On tax front, yes of course you have to pay tax. If you take up the job working remotely whilst you are still in the UK, you would need to arrange to pay UK tax and NI. Once you move to Australia you start to pay Australian tax and make your own provision for super and insurance.

Super is a compulsory pension. Employers pay it or self employed must make their own provision. It is (I think) currently 10.25%.

If you are going to be contracting / self employed, then I would highly recomend you take proffessional advice.

Archived