Social work questions!

Hi all

Been doing some research for my SIL. She is a degree trained social worker with two years experience and she is looking to move to QLD under the state nominated scheme.

My understanding of the visa system is that she can can apply now to get her skills assessed for migration purposes (she achieves the required 60 points with the skills assessment) but she can not apply to join the AASW yet as she has not got 3 years experience. Does she need membership to be considered for a social work job?

JOHN

Hi all

Been doing some research for my SIL. She is a degree trained social worker with two years experience and she is looking to move to QLD under the state nominated scheme.

My understanding of the visa system is that she can can apply now to get her skills assessed for migration purposes (she achieves the required 60 points with the skills assessment) but she can not apply to join the AASW yet as she has not got 3 years experience. Does she need membership to be considered for a social work job?

JOHN

I did my assessment with AASW in 2012 so this might not be current but the requirements for AASW membership and a positive skill assessment are identical. If she has a 3 year degree and less than 3 years experience she most likely wont receive a positive assessment. AASW membership does not seem important to get jobs in my experience.

Hi

My OH is a social worker and has just received PR visa. I can't answer your question re years of work but there is a lot of information on the AASW website http://www.aasw.asn.au/careers-study/assessment-criteria-for-assessments-for-migration-and-employment-purposes/assessment-criteria-for-assessments-for-migration-and-employment-purposes

They are also really helpful when you contact them by email.

Most jobs do require eligibility for membership of AASW - you don't have to be a member, just eligible. If your SIL receives a positive assessment than it is almost certain that she will be eligible and therefore be able to apply for jobs.

Hi Mr luvpants,

I have recently received a positive skills assessment from AASW and at the time I had 21 months post qualification experience so I don't think the 3 year rule applies.

Regarding the number of years study I would email them direct. I did the 2 year masters course to qualify so have a total of 5 years university study, however the first three years were not study related to Social Work.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived