UK IT Contracting Market

eastruntongirl

My husband is thinking that moving into IT contracting maybe a better option for employment when we go back to the UK.

However he has only ever had permanent type positions and has very little experience of the process for gaining IT contract work.

He is currently in IT Security and Risk.

Does anyone have any experience on the IT contract market (moving from a permanent role to becoming a contractor).

Is the current UK market for this line of work reasonably buoyant ?

Thanks.

CG

Hi CG

IT Contracting atm is very hit and miss in general, however I would say in the IT Security and risk area and these positions are very sought after. I have just been made redundant to allow for my move in the other direction, however I have been researching vacancies here and there are quite a few for that area.

I would say if your husband decides to go contracting he most likely wont have any issues finding work.

My husband is thinking that moving into IT contracting maybe a better option for employment when we go back to the UK.

However he has only ever had permanent type positions and has very little experience of the process for gaining IT contract work.

Does anyone have any experience on the IT contract market (moving from a permanent role to becoming a contractor).

Thanks.

CG

Try having a hunt on some job sites like jobserve. There is a lot of Indian outsourcing, but I still know many contractors doing well. Depending on location. But I don't know know much about his field.

Thanks.

CG

I have been contracting for 5 years and would never go back to a permanent job. IT security and risk is definitely one of the most sought after IT roles at present.

The best route to getting contracts is through personal contacts and networking but, having obviously been out of the country for a while, this may not be an option for your husband to get his first contract.

http://www.jobserve.com is one of the best websites job search websites and many new jobs reported every day. He should definitely make sure that his LinkedIN profile is up to date, clearly states that he is currently looking for a role and has a current CV attached.

Getting the first contract was key for me, the rest came fairly easily after that.

I will PM you a couple useful documents from the accountancy firm that does my company books.

Good luck with your move back to the UK.

I have been contracting for 5 years and would never go back to a permanent job. IT security and risk is definitely one of the most sought after IT roles at present.

The best route to getting contracts is through personal contacts and networking but, having obviously been out of the country for a while, this may not be an option for your husband to get his first contract.

www.jobserve.com is one of the best websites job search websites and many new jobs reported every day. He should definitely make sure that his LinkedIN profile is up to date, clearly states that he is currently looking for a role and has a current CV attached.

Getting the first contract was key for me, the rest came fairly easily after that.

I will PM you a couple useful documents from the accountancy firm that does my company books.

Good luck with your move back to the UK.

Thank you JonnoM for that info. My hubby is IT consultant too, we are heading back in July and he says the worst bit about moving back is having to build up his network of contacts again so good to know that you are doing well in the contracting sector.

Archived