Contributory Aged Parent Visa

romay

Hi, please can somebody advise -

We are hoping to emigrate to Oz in September on an contributory aged parent visa.

Our migration expert has recommended that we travel across on a 3 month temporary visa and when we arrive he will

then submit our paperwork to Perth for the main visa.

What we are concerned about is when we arrive on a one way ticket, immigration may question us as to why we are only travelling one way.

Our migration expert has advised that this is perfectly legal and once he lodges the papers we will automatically be given a bridging visa until our visa comes through.

Has anyone else gone down this route and if so, were there any problems?

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Hi, please can somebody advise -

We are hoping to emigrate to Oz in September on an contributory aged parent visa.

Our migration expert has recommended that we travel across on a 3 month temporary visa and when we arrive he will

then submit our paperwork to Perth for the main visa.

What we are concerned about is when we arrive on a one way ticket, immigration may question us as to why we are only travelling one way.

Our migration expert has advised that this is perfectly legal and once he lodges the papers we will automatically be given a bridging visa until our visa comes through.

Has anyone else gone down this route and if so, were there any problems?

Any advice would be most appreciated.

You may very well get away with it, but I have to stop short of calling it legal and I think it is irresponsible of your agent not to outline the great risk you would be taking, not least so you don't say the wrong thing and incriminate yourself at the immigration desk! Tourist visas are for tourists, they are not a means to get onshore to lodge a different visa application. You would have trouble transporting your belongings on a tourist visa as well.

Arriving on a tourist visa with a one way ticket and perhaps explaining that you are on a one way ticket as you want to lodge an onshore application to stay could very well leave you on the next flight home with a ban from Australia. It would in my view be very foolish to arrive on anything but a return ticket and you would have to be very careful if you decide to take this path. Me, I like to do things by the book so it is not something I would ever consider, as I say though, you may well get away with it.

Many applicants for 804 and (less commonly) 864 visas adopt this strategy.

Ditto partner visa applicants - the number of which adopting an onshore strategy following arrival on a visitor visa I'm sure will increase once the offshore VACs for partner applications increase from the 1st of July.

This said, remember that a visitor visa is intended for those who are holidaying or visiting friends/family in Australia.

If the Department of Immigration were to process offshore applications more quickly I dare say the incentive to travel to Australia to lodge an application would dissipate.

Best regards.

You may very well get away with it, but I have to stop short of calling it legal and I think it is irresponsible of your agent not to outline the great risk you would be taking, not least so you don't say the wrong thing and incriminate yourself at the immigration desk! Tourist visas are for tourists, they are not a means to get onshore to lodge a different visa application. You would have trouble transporting your belongings on a tourist visa as well.

Arriving on a tourist visa with a one way ticket and perhaps explaining that you are on a one way ticket as you want to lodge an onshore application to stay could very well leave you on the next flight home with a ban from Australia. It would in my view be very foolish to arrive on anything but a return ticket and you would have to be very careful if you decide to take this path. Me, I like to do things by the book so it is not something I would ever consider, as I say though, you may well get away with it.

Many thanks for that - we won't be going down that route!!

Archived