Hi all, any advice welcome

ashleyjames473

Hi there,

My name is Ashley, living in London, and I'm a qualified midwife.

Moving out to Darwin to be with my partner, hopefully very soon! I have been offered a position in a Darwin hospital and am waiting on my visa. Once I receive my visa, apart from booking flights etc. what are the next steps? Any advice at all would be great.

Hi and welcome to PIO!Congratulations on the job front!You'll need to apply for a Tax File Number,open bank accounts etc.Not sure when you are planning to move over,but you could start getting an idea of housing options by looking through realestate.com.au,they have rentals and house sales on that site.Are you taking stuff over?Try Movecube and other options and start getting quotes.Have you got children?If so start looking at schooling options.Pets?Start getting quotes if taking them with Petair and other companies.What does your partner plan to do re work?

Hi and welcome to PIO!Congratulations on the job front!You'll need to apply for a Tax File Number,open bank accounts etc.Not sure when you are planning to move over,but you could start getting an idea of housing options by looking through realestate.com.au,they have rentals and house sales on that site.Are you taking stuff over?Try Movecube and other options and start getting quotes.Have you got children?If so start looking at schooling options.Pets?Start getting quotes if taking them with Petair and other companies.What does your partner plan to do re work?

Hi, thank you :)

Great, thanks I have no idea how to apply for the tax number etc. I am hoping to be on my way by the end of the summer/early autumn. All going to plan that is!

My partner is currently renting in Darwin, but his lease may be up by the time I get there so I may have to do some house hunting also. I'll probably also have to arrange some shipping of my stuff.

No kids. Was considering bringing my dog but may leave her with my grandmother, I'm not totally sure yet. I heard shipping pets can be very expensive and a lot of hassle, not to mention the time it takes for quarantine etc. So I'm not sure. Again, any tips on the process would also be great,

Thanks for the advice!

Hi, thank you :)

No kids. Was considering bringing my dog but may leave her with my grandmother, I'm not totally sure yet. I heard shipping pets can be very expensive and a lot of hassle, not to mention the time it takes for quarantine etc. So I'm not sure. Again, any tips on the process would also be great,

Thanks for the advice!

Re: dogs/pets

It cost us just over £3k to ship our dog to Sydney. prices vary depending on location in Australia. Quarantine is now only 10 days, and it cost approx £100 a day (that's p[art of the £3k in mentioned). It takes about 6 months to do the rabies and jabs and blood tests, so if you start now it might be doable time wise. Airpets or Golden Arrow are often used (we are using Golden Arrow as it's a bit cheaper and we liked them when we spoke to them on the phone).

al doable, but needs a bit of forward planning and an extra chunk of cash. Hope this helps!

Hi Ashley...............as much as it may hurt, I'd suggest leaving pooch with Grannie. as long as you know the dog will be ok, that's all that matters (IMHO) you will save money, and Darwin is really hard (climate wise) on Uk dogs.......they will acclimatise yes, but why put them through that as long as they have a good home in the Uk? Good luck

Hi Ashley...............as much as it may hurt, I'd suggest leaving pooch with Grannie. as long as you know the dog will be ok, that's all that matters (IMHO) you will save money, and Darwin is really hard (climate wise) on Uk dogs.......they will acclimatise yes, but why put them through that as long as they have a good home in the Uk? Good luck

Hi johndoe,

Yes that's a very good point actually! Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
Moving out to Darwin .

Lucky lady. I am so envious. I adore Darwin.

You can practically get work anywhere as a qualified midwife - the world is your oyster.

Next steps: find somewhere to live but if that is already sorted by your partner - then just arrive and go with the flow.

Archived