Citizenship - translation of birth certificate

silencio

Hi members,

may some of the experts here enlighten me please regarding translations of documents for the citizenship application.

If I remember correctly it has to be a NAATI translation of documents for the citizenship interview in order to be accepted within Australia as we come from a non-English speaking country. Yesterday I read through the hard copy of the citizenship application and it stated clearly that only NAATI translation are accepted!

When we applied for our PR visa back in 2011 is was totally fine to just have everything translated from an accredited translator as it was much cheaper and accepted by Immigration because we applied outside of Australia.

I was just wondering if we have to obtain new translations of our original birth certificates again, this time NAATI ones?

If yes, that'll be 'fun', an expensive exercise. If no, would make sense, as for PR it was fine with the accredited translation.

According to the DIBP website:

"In Australia, you must use translators accredited by the National Accreditation Authority of Translators and Interpreters.If you are outside Australia when applying, contact the Australian mission in the country which issued the documents for advice on acceptable translators."

Hi when I went to my Citizenship interview recently - on the 23rd of April 2015, they didnt even ask me for my birth certificate till I pointed it out - mine was a translated IRANIAN birth certificate no idea it was NAATI or whatever but still they seemed not care about it at all.

I was approved recently btw . :) Good luck to you.

"In Australia, you must use translators accredited by the National Accreditation Authority of Translators and Interpreters.If you are outside Australia when applying, contact the Australian mission in the country which issued the documents for advice on acceptable translators."

http://www.immi.gov.au/FAQs/Pages/who-can-translate-my-documents-into-english-for-me.aspx

Who can translate my documents into English for me?

Any document in a language other than English must be accompanied by a certified English translation.

A translator in Australia must be accredited by the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters.

A translator outside Australia does not need to be accredited, but they must endorse the translation with their full name, address, telephone number, and details of their qualifications and experience in the language being translated.

Edited by yc1ten

Thanks guys for your replies! Now I absolutely know that NAATI translations are needed.

I'm going to contact our 'old' overseas translator soon in order to get the NAATI translation (she is a NAATI one but non-NAATI translations were cheaper those days). If our chosen translator from 2011 still has the translations on her computer file we only pay the gap fee for the NAATI stamp + postage as the translation is done by her in 2011 so she won't need to do the same work all over again.

Edited by silencio