Having a baby after visa grant?

CaptainC

If the child is born offshore, they would have no visa status and you would need to apply for Child 101 visa for them processing is around 8-12 months.

A child born onshore to at least 1 parent that has PR would be an Australian citizen.

Thanks for that.

Also, because my wife is a kiwi then presumably the baby would have NZ citizenship automatically (even if born in the UK) so I would have thought that they could have a 444 visa in Australia until awaiting the 101?

Thanks for that.

Also, because my wife is a kiwi then presumably the baby would have NZ citizenship automatically (even if born in the UK) so I would have thought that they could have a 444 visa in Australia until awaiting the 101?

The onshore equivalent is 802 visa which is more expensive, and longer processing times. You would need to check the rules on NZ citizenship by decent. But yes that would be an option to apply onshore if enter Australia on NZ passport.

The onshore equivalent is 802 visa which is more expensive, and longer processing times. You would need to check the rules on NZ citizenship by decent. But yes that would be an option to apply onshore if enter Australia on NZ passport.

That's food for thought, thanks very much for your replies.

Thanks for that.

NZ citizenship is not automatic for overseas born children. You would need to apply for NZ citizenship by descent and then a NZ passport before the child can be granted an SC 444 visa on arrival in Australia.

http://www.dia.govt.nz/Services-Citizenship-New-Zealand-Citizenship-by-Descent

If baby is born before you get to Australia, you should probably wait until in Australia then apply for a subclass 802 onshore Child visa. An 802 costs (currently) $3520 vs $2370 for a 101 so it's more expensive but the 101 can only be granted offshore so you would have the additional expense of taking baby offshore for the grant to take place. I can't see that the longer processing time for an 802 would be a problem.

I've just seen details of the new post 1 July 2015 visa charges announced in the budget earlier this week and the cost of an 802 will go DOWN to be the same as the 101 ($2370). Will wonders never cease! I didn't think DIBP would EVER reduce the cost of a visa.

I've just seen details of the new post 1 July 2015 visa charges announced in the budget earlier this week and the cost of an 802 will go DOWN to be the same as the 101 ($2370). Will wonders never cease! I didn't think DIBP would EVER reduce the cost of a visa.

There's obviously a disturbance in the force!

Still, I think we will wait, and then the baby will be an Aus Citizen, kids cost enough as it is!

Archived