PR Visa rules

dfactor

Hello all,

Please can someone remind me how the following works.....

I've had a PR state sponsored visa since 2010. I went to Perth to have a trail period in 2013 for four months and everything was great. Due to my personal circumstances I haven't been able to return within the expiry date of my original visa deadline which was Jan 2015. I applied for an extension and was granted 1 year extension which now expires on the 24th December 2015. I am heading back to Perth on the 12th October 2015 with the absolute view of staying for ever and so eventually gain my citizenship.

So my question is..... If I need to return to the UK after I arrive on the 12th October 2015 what is the criteria on the 4 years you have to do to gain citizenship? Am I right in thinking that if I do two years straight from the 12th October 2015 then I will get a 5 year grace period and as long as in that next 5 years I do another 2 full years I will be eligible to apply for my citizenship?

The only reason I ask is I have 2 rental properties in the UK and am wondering if it worth the hassle of keeping one of them. I have family in the UK who can sort things out on my behalf but I could also do with the funds from a sale to set myself up properly in Perth and/or I might be better off investing in Property in Perth long term even if i did return to live in the UK one day.

Any help/advise would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Dan

You seem to be mixing up the requirements for the RRV and citizenship. Given you have already activated the PR visa, if you remain in Australia for 3 years without a single day out of the country..then you qualify for citizenship. If you return to the UK after 2 years and spend more than 12 months there - you have to start all over again with counting time towards citizenship

If you need to be able to return to the UK after arriving in October, you'd need to look at another RRV as it will be several years before you can consider citizenship.

To apply for citizenship, you must:

• have been living in Australia on a valid Australian visa for four years immediately before applying which must include the last 12 months as a permanent resident, and
  • not have been absent from Australia for more than one year in total, in the 4 year period, including no more than 90 days in the year before applying.

Archived