Hi, six years in OZ

sean83

Hi everyone,

I was born in Australia to an Australian mother and English Father, so I have dual nationality, and moved to my father's hometown Middlesbrough, England not long after I was born where I was brought up. I decided to move to my birthplace Newcastle, Australia, when I was 26 in 2009, they call me a pozzie over here.

I've planned a trip back to Middlesbrough this July for three months after six years in Oz and I'm contemplating whether to move back to UK permanently. Found it difficult to get a social life in Newcastle, only really made one good friend and he's moving back to Victoria.

I've found in Newcastle that if people don't know you they don't want to know you, and will treat you like a tourist, and the women are either very aloof and unfriendly or feral.

If I come back to Australia after 3 month in UK I will most likely move somewhere else where there is more going on, near Sydney or down Victoria at least I will have a friend there and have him as a social hub.

also been here 6 years and for the first time considered if I should go back to Europe

here it feels u very far from everything and 20 days holiday a here is not a lot when u want to go to Europe ... Plus most employers don't allow u to take more then 2 wow at a time ...

ive lived in Adelaide for 3 and Melbourne for 3. Agree that is very difficult to make Aussie friends, they all have their friends from school and they not open to include u. Unless your partner is Aussie and u get to be friends with their friends ...

sorry not helping either ...

Hi everyone,

I was born in Australia to an Australian mother and English Father, so I have dual nationality, and moved to my father's hometown Middlesbrough, England not long after I was born where I was brought up. I decided to move to my birthplace Newcastle, Australia, when I was 26 in 2009, they call me a pozzie over here.

I've planned a trip back to Middlesbrough this July for three months after six years in Oz and I'm contemplating whether to move back to UK permanently. Found it difficult to get a social life in Newcastle, only really made one good friend and he's moving back to Victoria.

I've found in Newcastle that if people don't know you they don't want to know you, and will treat you like a tourist, and the women are either very aloof and unfriendly or feral.

If I come back to Australia after 3 month in UK I will most likely move somewhere else where there is more going on, near Sydney or down Victoria at least I will have a friend there and have him as a social hub.

The aloofness and other observations though are hardly unique to Newcastle. UK IMP far better to be a young single man......hardly an original view on my part either.

You are fortunate to have two options passport wise, which in itself means many more.

It's interesting to read of other people here finding Aussies to be unfriendly, so I'm glad it's not just me, I work for myself now with my own business online, but have been employed twice here before I started the business. They have a strange culture in regards to the workplace, they never had any staff do's, co workers did not hang out on weekends together, there was no office Christmas parties either, they seemed friendly enough to work with, but outside will go back to their own little shells.

Guest Guest66881

Just the way some are mate, i guess other countries have similar failings too.

You do the brit run and make the most of the dual passport privilege while you can, good luck to you.

• 2 weeks later...

I couldn't agree more, Iv been here since 2007 and have the same view on aussies, iv often thought of moving back but id miss my mum dad and brother too much, so I'm moving to Sydney, lots more nationalities there so I'm hoping that makes a change :)

Archived