Sticking to your Professions

shebeast

Aha. It seems to have posted twice, once without the damn question. Here it is anyway:

I'm a secondary science teacher, looking to migrate to Victoria at the end of this year/early next year. I enjoy teaching, and am looking forward to seeing whether the work life balance is any better over there.

My question is; If I get a 189 visa granted, so I HAVE to get a teaching job over there? Say I taught for a year or so before deciding I'd had enough- could I just get another job in a different profession? Or would immigration people hint me down!?:laugh: I can't seem to find any restrictions regarding the 189 visa- are there any?

Part of me thinks that unless I went onto claiming benefits, I'm sure it wouldn't be a massive issue. Or is this best saved until I've been there 4 years, become a citizen and then can no longer worry about the visa?

Thanks in advance!

Immigration cannot track the day to day movement of every immigrant - so no you do not have to work in the profession you migrated under.

Why do you think it might be a better work life balance though? Is that based on any research or is just one of those notions that many people seem to have, with resect to Aussies bumming off to the beach every afternoon (it's just not true I am afraid). I think the teaching year is as long as it is in UK, lessons still need planning, homework needs marking.

I am not in teaching myself, work in the private sector and Australian employment laws are nowhere near as conducive to achieving a favourable work life balance as UK / European practices. Low annual leave, limited sick pay, limited parental pay etc. are the norm in Australia.

They may hope that you will go into your nominated profession, because they have identified a skill shortage in that area, there is no obligation for you to do so and you are free to take up any profession you wish when you arrive.

Immigration cannot track the day to day movement of every immigrant - so no you do not have to work in the profession you migrated under.

Why do you think it might be a better work life balance though? Is that based on any research or is just one of those notions that many people seem to have, with resect to Aussies bumming off to the beach every afternoon (it's just not true I am afraid). I think the teaching year is as long as it is in UK, lessons still need planning, homework needs marking.

I am not in teaching myself, work in the private sector and Australian employment laws are nowhere near as conducive to achieving a favourable work life balance as UK / European practices. Low annual leave, limited sick pay, limited parental pay etc. are the norm in Australia.

Thanks for the response. I have a friend who worked in Oz then New Zealand and she said it was a much better balance. Teaching in the UK is full of paperwork at the moment and that doesn't seem to be the case in Australia. Good to know I haven't got to do it if I don't want to.

Thanks again!

if you are on a visa with profession/job restrictions, Immigration will catch up with you sooner or later and your visa will be cancelled. Employers have to notify DIBP they are employing you and what you are doing. if it is different to whats on your visa you will be caught.

if you are on a visa with profession/job restrictions, Immigration will catch up with you sooner or later and your visa will be cancelled. Employers have to notify DIBP they are employing you and what you are doing. if it is different to whats on your visa you will be caught.

The OP is considering a 189 visa and there is absolutely no requirement to work in the occupation they nominate.

Archived