Hi!! I'm a Complete Newbie :S

Crossthwaite2015

Hey everyone ! So I'm completely new to this lol me and my husband have been doing a lot of talking about moving to Australia and have finally made the decision that were going to do it! we have an awful lot of researching to do ! We are a small family of three (we have a beautiful one year old son) from Northern Ireland desperate to get out of here! although we've lived here our whole lives we dont feel very comfortable here at all so not an ideal place to bring up our son! I'm usually quite shy so this was the best way for me to get talking to people in Oz or in the same position as us! So i would love to hear about your experiences :D look forward to chatting to you all :)

Hi guys, welcome to PIO.

Where in Aus are you thinking of? We have been in Brisbane almost 9 years and don't regret a minute the actual visa and moving process is pretty stressful though,lol

Have a read through this thread you may get some god pointers and tips - http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/news-chat-dilemmas/193833-positive-emigrating-australia-true-life-stories.html

Cal x

Hey! Ideally we are thinking Brisbane. My husband is an air con and refrigeration engineer and that seems to be where he would get the best work, from our research anyway. Although he would have more exams to do when we got there lol as for visas this is where we are getting very lost! Lol there sometimes is just a bit too much info it can be hard to find what your looking for! We have a loan to finishing paying off so realistically we won't be able to do the big move for two years but it gives us plenty of time to sort ourselves out. With that said, is it worth applying for our visa now? I've heard you can be waiting up to two years anyway??

Hey! Ideally we are thinking Brisbane. My husband is an air con and refrigeration engineer and that seems to be where he would get the best work, from our research anyway. Although he would have more exams to do when we got there lol as for visas this is where we are getting very lost! Lol there sometimes is just a bit too much info it can be hard to find what your looking for! We have a loan to finishing paying off so realistically we won't be able to do the big move for two years but it gives us plenty of time to sort ourselves out. With that said, is it worth applying for our visa now? I've heard you can be waiting up to two years anyway??

One point to consider if you apply early is that you have a window, typically around 6 months to arrive in Australia. You can make that a visa validation trip/recce, then you have 5 years to return and make the move a permanent one. But such a trip adds £0,000's more to the cost and the visas will cost £0,000s too. Even without a validation trip you probably should allow for the fact that the move will cost you an absolute minimum of £30,000.

Have you been before?

Ah that would make things difficult trying to rush the whole move into 6 months, especially if it went through quicker than expected :/ as for money, we were saving for a mortgage with it in mind that we would probably end up spending the money to leave the country lol so we do have a good bit of savings aside and continuing to save. unfortunately no, we haven't been before. We have a lot of family who have all done it, however they ended up coming back as they were home sick, they all loved it just not the fact theyre family at home were getting on with their lives. We've been watching all the shows about moving to austrailia and looking at Different parts of Australia, when I was 14 my family were going to move, my dad went out and worked there for a while and he said it was perfect, only reason we didn't go didn't go in the end was my older sister and her children would be left behind on their own. If our Son wasn't so young we would get out to see it all ourselves but at his age the travelling and drastic change in weather would just be too much, another reason were not rushing the process lol

My husband got some info from one of those emigration sites (I'm not sure exactly how useful these things are) but from our ininformation in the email we sent them they suggested the right visa for us is a skilled independent visa (subclass 189), does anyone know how useful these emigration sites are? Did you have anyone to help you with all this malarkey? Lol

Definitely! I'm so lost info on the Internet alone makes it very hard to know where to start, the amount of info is quite overwhelming lol I'm aware there are dodgy companies, who's worth talking to? We don't want to risk throwing away our savings because we just didn't know where to start!

A 189 Perm Residency Visa sounds like your best bet. We are using a migration agent but a lot of people choose not to. Always worth speaking to a MARA registered agent who usually give out some free advise before decided on what is the best route for you to take. You would have a year from the date of your medicals/police check to validate your visa - these are usually asked for these a few weeks before they grant the visa so I would say you have slightly more than 6 months to validate it. We started the process last June but my OH needed to do the AQF3 to submit for his skills assessment which we are hoping to get back soon and submit the visa application, so depending on your personal circumstances the process can take about a year to get moving anyway. Good luck and post lots of questions on this site as people are only too willing to help xx

Roughly how much could I end up spending on an agent?? Things are a bit hectic at home and researching everything is becoming very confusing! Lol I dont want to put too much of a dent in our savings paying out for an agent. Is it expensive?? Thanks for all the info, I'd be even more list without a forum like this one! Lol

Roughly how much could I end up spending on an agent?? Things are a bit hectic at home and researching everything is becoming very confusing! Lol I dont want to put too much of a dent in our savings paying out for an agent. Is it expensive?? Thanks for all the info, I'd be even more list without a forum like this one! Lol

We've paid £2200 but I've seen others with it slightly cheaper and some a bit more expensive. Xx

Hey Newbie, a fellow newbie here too ha ha. I am also in the same predicament at the moment. My husband and I have finally decided to take the plunge and emigrate. He too is an air conditioning engineer and i am training to be a primary teacher, currently about to enter my final year at uni. We have three children who are 10, 6 and 4.....3 girls. I just want a better life for them than I think the UK can offer them. I think we are deffinately going to go down the emigration agent route as a friend of mine is already over there and she said she wouldnt have coped without hers. Shes been there almost 4 years and has never looked back! Im over in Yorkshire (the bad bit) ha ha ha and just need to get out! We too are hoping for a 2/3 year time limit xx Good luck with everything for you and your family

The wages here in Northern Ireland for this field of work are terrible! We've always scraped by even though my husband is working until stupid - o' clock most times and no days off. We made the decision to move when we were thinking of having another baby then we realised how much more expensive and difficult it would be to move with a baby so we're trying to go ASAP lol but debts to pay at home first lol hopefully we can start getting the wheels in motion now lol good luck to you too! I hope it all works out for us all :) xx

Archived