Professional reference from ANMAC and Overseas work expereinces

lotus76

Dear All,

I would like to seek your help. I am doing ground work for seeking PR here. This is my background. I am RN-RM in my country and after two years of working in the hospital I started teaching midwifery till 2006. 2007 and 08 I was in Australia doing my PG and master in midwifery. After that I did not get registered here but went back to teaching in my country. Now I am back doing PhD in Nursing and Midwifery since 2013. I have decided to get registered as a midwife here. My questions are:

while assessing for skills, will ANMAC consider teaching midwifery as well as clinical supervision (we also do two weeks of full time clinical practices in the hospital but that is the part of my primary full time job) as part of my skills? What is this 'professional reference' that ANMAC said we have to provide if we need extra points? What point is that? Is that related to the point that DIAC award for previous working experiences? Will DIAC consider my working experiences? What about the gaps in between which I spent on doing courses related to my skills as well as starting from 2013 till now? I have just gone ahead and done English test which I was successful but am in doubt if all my efforts, time and resources would be worth the effort. Looking for some pointers. Thanks!!

Thanks for the reply. I am registered back in my country (Asian). I came across that example for professional reference. My doubt here is will teaching midwifery and not working in hospital be counted as skills for midwife or not? If I get professional reference it will be from the Nursing Superintended (the highest post of nurses and midwives) from the hospital where we conduct clinical practice for our students. In my country (sorry for personal reason I don't want to disclose my country's name)all nurses are midwives and there is no separate registration for midwives. we also do 4 weeks per year of clinical works apart from clinical teachings and supervision of students. However we are not paid by the hospital as it is a requirement by the school where I teach. I cannot ask professional reference from my school as the head is not RM or RN. I could wait for my phd to complete but then I lose out badly in age points and don't make it to 60 points after that. Any help, please.

It may be best to contact the ANMAC directly, as I am not sure how they assess yours skills if you are not practising. Are you registered with AHPRA? It may be worth seeing if you meet the criteria for registration first as the ANMAC is only responsible for assessing skills for the purpose of the visa.

If you get registered with AHPRA then ANMAC only do the modified assessment.

ANMAC faq below

http://www.anmac.org.au/faqs#010

If you need to provide evidence of recent skilled employment (under any ANZSCO Code) in Australia or internationally in order to obtain points towards your visa application you will need to provide a professional reference of at least 36 months’ international experience or 12 months’ Australian experience. ANMAC has provided an example that helps to explain the professional reference requirements. (Ali has already posted a link to this above)

Thanks Wildrover. My worry is whether 36 months that I spent teaching midwifery while all the time registered as midwife count as practice in the area of my skill. Anyway going to submit AHPRA's application tomorrow. Wish me luck!!

Archived