457 skilled sponsorship - who pays what?

Hi,

So my work have said they will sponsor me to stay working for them at the hospital I'm at.

On my initial discussion they stated that they would be paying and I would be out of pocket approx $450 for medicals etc.

Now they've done the nomination and the sponsorship, and now I have to submit my 457 application...which when I do so it comes up at the end as if I have to pay 2-3k (my partner included - which they also knew about).

I've contacted them again and they reckon I'm doing it wrong? I can't see any other alternative.

Has anyone else had any experience? Do your companies pay for it all? Do you pay initially and then they reimburse you? Or am I doing it wrong?

I'm totally confused! Hope someone can help :-)

There are rules about the employer paying for the nomination, but the rest is as agreed between the parties. Some employers will pay and others will not. Having said that, I don't believe hospitals will normally pay the visa fee, only the nomination which they are obliged too pay.

Your figure of $2k sounds about right for the visa application. I am puzzled that you don't know whether it is 2k or 3k though, what exactly are you seeing?

When you lodge a visa application, you must pay the VAC as the final step before you upload documents and I don't think there's any way around that. If your employer has agreed to pay the VAC, you will have to pay it first and then claim it back from them.

Hi,

So my work have said they will sponsor me to stay working for them at the hospital I'm at.

On my initial discussion they stated that they would be paying and I would be out of pocket approx $450 for medicals etc.

Now they've done the nomination and the sponsorship, and now I have to submit my 457 application...which when I do so it comes up at the end as if I have to pay 2-3k (my partner included - which they also knew about).

I've contacted them again and they reckon I'm doing it wrong? I can't see any other alternative.

Has anyone else had any experience? Do your companies pay for it all? Do you pay initially and then they reimburse you? Or am I doing it wrong?

I'm totally confused! Hope someone can help :-)

When I got a 457 my employer paid for everything, visa, medicals and relocation expenses. Later, my partner was offered a 457 by Queensland health and they would not pay for the visa and offered no relocation package. Your employed pays for your nomination and must pay for return flights to repatriate you, and all people named on the visa, to your home country when you leave; anything else is discretionary and open to negotiation.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

So, I've filled out the application in full again today and it still says $3,450 for 2 people. I'm not entirely sure where the extra is coming from as the government estimates say $1,035 for the main applicant then the same again for an additional over 18.

My company weren't aware of any increases and thought that the applicant was only to pay around $500 as previously (not sure how long ago that was!!).

So looks like PR may be the option now for the 2 of us, for an extra little bit of money, seems to make sense.

Thanks for your replies :-)

Archived