wanting to take parent with us. Advice needed

jon211174

We want to apply for a 189 visa for permanent residency or 489 visa but we have had my mother living with us for the past 4 years. She is dependant on us so has to emigrate with us. She is 74 yrs old. She in in relatively good health but financially could not afford to stay in the uk on her own and only has her pension. Also there is not any other family members who could look after her. We understand that there are visas such as the parent visa etc, but some require us to be permanent residents in Australia for 2 years before we could sponsor her. If this is the case, what are we supposed to do with her for 2 years, she would be homeless?

Does anyone have any advice on the best way to do this?

Hi Jon

I applied for a 190 visa and included my mom as a dependant. You're able to do that on 189 and 190 visas, by simply including her in your application and paying the fees for another applicant, as well as form 47a. There is a need for you to prove dependency though, and this is different for each applicant - give as much proof of income, expenditure, evidence of a shared home with you, and so on. My mom passed the medicals with no problems, so now it's just about waiting for the grant notice to come through. Good luck!

Your mother cannot migrate with you as the UK is a welfare state and it will be impossible to prove dependence.

You would need to wait the two years before you could sponsor her for a parent visa, but she might be able to apply for an onshore visa at that point so at least she could stay while it is processed. She can take extended visits during your first two years, but that is an incomplete solution as she will not be able to stay the whole time so will still need to have some UK housing.

ETA: Melbourne just seen your post after I posted, I have never heard of anyone from UK being able to do that before, was your application recent?

ETA: Melbourne just seen your post after I posted, I have never heard of anyone from UK being able to do that before, was your application recent?

Yes, very recent, and still waiting on a final answer after CO contacted us a month ago for 47a. However, you're right - I'm not from the UK, and a monthly pension payout here is the equivalent of 90 Pounds - nowhere near enough to live on.

We want to apply for a 189 visa for permanent residency or 489 visa but we have had my mother living with us for the past 4 years. She is dependant on us so has to emigrate with us. She is 74 yrs old. She in in relatively good health but financially could not afford to stay in the uk on her own and only has her pension. Also there is not any other family members who could look after her. We understand that there are visas such as the parent visa etc, but some require us to be permanent residents in Australia for 2 years before we could sponsor her. If this is the case, what are we supposed to do with her for 2 years, she would be homeless?

Have you actually looked into what would happen if you had to leave? Would she be eligible for council housing or aged care? If so, then as Bungo said, she wouldn't be truly dependent as she'd have a home and a pension.

Have you looked at the cost of a parent visa? Could you afford it?

Archived