Return to U.K. after 5 years

Pome sammy

Hi Sammi good that you have decided to move back as it,s hard descision to make for some people.i have been unsettled on and off for three and a bit years.I moved from London to Warnbro 40 mins from Perth and found it very hard.i have a lovely house near beach,although very quiet and different to uk,for obvious reasons.I have two children here and wife and daughter 16 back in Surrey.

wife got good job and I have garden co,going well.

the reasons for me are the distance from family and old friends,and not really have those relationships there ,much any more,apart from FaceTime or mobile but not really seeing people.

secondly the history of uk and culture was quite important to me and I miss that a lot.I get residency in March and will possibly head back after that.

i do like it here,I do paddle boarding and more time off with work and good money.so it,s not material things,it,s more family stuff.

my missus is pretty gutted,she loves it here ,more than I. And I am kind of looking forward to trying some new place and starting a new garden co.we can't do London as I gave council house back ,so buy place out a bit.

hope it goes well for you

School places in many areas are tricky. To give an example the buyers of our house have been told they cannot apply for schools locally until they have exchanged contracts on the house (and that is for a move of only 15 miles away). There is a place available but it cannot be held or guaranteed.

Unless October is an absolute must for you I would seriously consider bringing that forward to June or July to give yourselves a fighting chance of a school place for the new academic year.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks so much and yes would love the info on your contact, we have a British bulldog so really concerned how he will fly

Hey Pome Sammy....I've been looking into shipping my two British Bulldogs back to the UK also. I'd love to know what advise you have had in regards to the breed and how they'll go. I've heard from some people that they will have no troubles at all but then others that say they're more at risk because of their short noses!

How wonderful the above have said the encouraging comments they have said. Don't read too much into it or be afraid for change. You have said your reasons for leaving, and good on you. I would move back tomorrow if I could. I have a near 15 year old daughter.

She was born in England the moved at age 3. She is looking forward to dong University in England, would move back earlier if had too. No problem.

I guess I am trying to say, if you think you are doing the right thing, and children are cared for, they are open minded and ok.

Do what is right for you and your hubby, kids will be fine.

And don't expect too much from extended family. They are a bonus if all great, but don't live your life through others. Just keep doors open, but put yourselves first. All the best.

Hi there we moved back a year ago after 6 years in adelaide. We d done our homework been in oz 10 times on hols have our best friends over there. Landed great jobs paying treble what we got in uk. So why did we come home? Because of the LIFESTYLE!!!! Thank god we didnt sell our house or we would be in a hostal by now. As for settling back into uk omg it was such a joy to be back in a properly built house with double glazing, woodburning stove and no cardboard walls or tin roofs! Sheer joy. Back to normal cheap eating out cheap food cheap houses. Over there our house would cost at least $1m aud! And i bought myself a nice little bright red audi TT for £2300!!!! Same one year etc in adelaide was $18000! Sorry but goin to the beach on a sunday for a few months of the year didnt do it for me. Due to the prices our lifestyle plummeted. Now for £80 we can hop over to europe do the beach thing as often as we like. Pomme sammy its like everywhere it has changed but homes home warts n all. The travel thing has got way cheaper people hop over to europe for long weekends and the housing market is on the up. I feel so much more secure in the uk over there when ud no money it was terrifying at least here we ve got a safety net called Welfare State. The whole australia thing was good at times horrendous and mundane. Life is what you make it really. I dont miss paying 100 bucks for plastic shoes and crappy jeans! Get ur £10 out for the marks and spencer dine in meal including a bottle of plonk! Good luck!

Hi there we moved back a year ago after 6 years in adelaide. We d done our homework been in oz 10 times on hols have our best friends over there. Landed great jobs paying treble what we got in uk. So why did we come home? Because of the LIFESTYLE!!!! Thank god we didnt sell our house or we would be in a hostal by now. As for settling back into uk omg it was such a joy to be back in a properly built house with double glazing, woodburning stove and no cardboard walls or tin roofs! Sheer joy. Back to normal cheap eating out cheap food cheap houses. Over there our house would cost at least $1m aud! And i bought myself a nice little bright red audi TT for £2300!!!! Same one year etc in adelaide was $18000! Sorry but goin to the beach on a sunday for a few months of the year didnt do it for me. Due to the prices our lifestyle plummeted. Now for £80 we can hop over to europe do the beach thing as often as we like. Pomme sammy its like everywhere it has changed but homes home warts n all. The travel thing has got way cheaper people hop over to europe for long weekends and the housing market is on the up. I feel so much more secure in the uk over there when ud no money it was terrifying at least here we ve got a safety net called Welfare State. The whole australia thing was good at times horrendous and mundane. Life is what you make it really. I dont miss paying 100 bucks for plastic shoes and crappy jeans! Get ur £10 out for the marks and spencer dine in meal including a bottle of plonk! Good luck!

Sounds like the UK is great for you and thanks for the update

Archived