how do i tell my 15 year old daughter

Guest estelle

Guest estelle

hi ,

my names mark (estelle,s husband to be) and i,m just wondering if anyone has got any advice on how to tell a 15year old girl that her dad wants to move to australia ?

talk about bricking it i think my stomach is in knots :no:......

but how long do you put a dream on hold? ? ?

HELP

Hi,

Difficult situation but think you are just going to have to "bite the bullet" and be honest with her. Not sure from your post whether you are wanting her to go with you or whether she will be staying here but either way it best coming from you than for her to hear it from anyone else. I hope it goes well and she understands either way. Wishing you lots of good luck and fingers crossed she understands.

All the best,

Nikci

Hi Mark,

I know how you are feeling, its not an easy thing to do or a nice position to be in ( i have 2 daughters 18 & 21 in the uk and one here in oz with me)

I think you need to have some time with just you & your daughter and explain what you want to do but also explain why you want to. What ever response you get you will have to deal with - which may not be so nice too, then give your daughter a few days to mull things over in her own head and wait for her to approach you on the subject (i found it better not to keep talking oz) if after a while she hasnt mentioned anything,gently approach the subject (also i got alot of feedback from my daughters mates) which i found helpful.

I wish you the best of luck

gizmo

Guest estelle

thanks gizmo ,

you,ve helped quite a lot . the only problem is i saw how upset she was when i was offered a job in majorca and that was onlt 2 hours away ... i,m hoping that she will do her further education in brisbane .fingers crossed

cheers mark

Mark, from the last post you put on hear - i guess your daughter is aiming to come with you too Oz - if so that puts things in a different light (although it will still be hard for her to except and come to terms with if shes not keen) but if she coming with you it does make things slightly eaiser as she can contact others her age before she gets here for example and do her own research on oz (something she may not have done if you were going without her) From what i have seen of english kids coming over hear, most parents seem to say we will give it xxxx amount of years and if you still dont like it we will go home, often by then its swung the other way and the kids wanna stay and the parents wanna go home.

From a young age oz is a great place for peeps- things just a bit harder when you that older i think.

Feel free to pm me if you would like a contact for your daughter to chat to, as the daughter i have here in oz with me is Nikki 14 and on msn (as most kids are)

gizmo

HI Mark,

Just wanted to apologise having re read my post I realised it sounded a bit harsh - not my intention (am a woman of few words - lol) Anyway you do find yourself in a horrid situation and as Gizmo says a combination of communication and time will hopefully help her understand why do want to make the move. Gizmo is great (hope she doesn't mind) but I know she has been in a similar situation when she left the UK leaving daughters here and taking one with her so she definitely has experience of what you are going through which is probably why she answered your question so much better then I did. I really do hope it goes well and that everything works out. Again apologies if I came across less than sympathetic.

Sending you lots of good wishes,luck and success,

Nikci

Guest gothicqueen

Hi Mark

I have a 15 year old daughetr who at first wa like there is no way Im leaving my firends to come to australia.

Now however its a whole different story, shes really gotten the bug and cant wait to go.

We are hoping to go to Brisbane and I have tried to get Amelia to join up on here to chat about how she feels about going so maybe would be an idea for the 2 of them to have a chat about it all. (when you have told her that is!!!)

PM me if you like when you have broke the news and Ill get Amelia to have an online chat

Helen

Guest lyndy

Hi mark , my partner is in exactly the same position as you but his daughter is 11 and his stumach is also in knots , we havent even approached th subject yet and are going in a few months , it is a heartbreaking situation to be in but how long can we put our lives on hold , if we wait we will be to old and miss this oppertunity which we both hope that she will also take advantage of when she is old enough , i will eagerly watch your replys , good luck ,lyndy .

Archived