Contributory Parent Subclass 143

Robert Billington

Hi All,

my Visa gets lodged tomorrow 14/03/2015, I've been told it could take up to 22 months to process which seems a long time, I would like to move to OZ sooner than this so what can I do?

I don't need to work until the proper visa is issued so could I apply for a 12 months holiday visa & then leave the country for a couple of weeks & then return & wait for my 143 visa?

if not what are my options?

Regards

Rob.

There is no visa designed for going to Australia in order to wait for a visa. Most of us will plan to move after visa grant. You may well get away with going on a tourist visa, but take care, if immigration suspect you are not a proper tourist there could be trouble.

I just wanted to know if there are any other options out there

Well the tourist visa is perfectly good for tourism if that is what you will be doing. You won't be able to stay for two years on one though.

Guest geordie joe

Hi Robert

You could look at the 600 visitor visa which I beleive would allow you to visit for a maximum of 12 months, not sure if there are any longer options available. We will be applying for this option in November as we plan to spend a few months in Perth before our permanent is finalised, we lodged our 143 visa last July. I've attached the link to the immi site.

http://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/600.aspx?AdditionalQuestion1=a%20holiday&=true

joe

It is perfectly in order for you to visit on a tourist visa while waiting for your 143 and many parents do this. You will not normally be allowed to stay for more than 12 months though and you will need to keep DIBP informed that you are in Australia, so they don't grant your visa. You will need to go offshore for a few days while they grant your visa.

Thank you, the worry for me is not knowing when it's getting issued so if I came over for s year & it still wasn't issued how long do you have to leave Oz before you can return? & after staying for 12 months can you only stay for three?

I beleive you would only be able to stay for 12 months out of 18.

Three is longer visitor visas for parents but you can only stay for 12 months in 18 month period.Period of stay in Australia – 12 months or less in any 18 month periodParents who are granted a visa under these arrangements will have a visa condition which strictly limits their stay in Australia to no more than 12 months in any 18 month period.Visa holders may visit Australia on multiple occasions while their visa is valid but must not stay in Australia for more than 12 months continually or a total of 12 months in any 18 month period. This means, for example, that if you stay in Australia for 12 months continually, you must then spend 6 months outside Australia before returning.Your visa will automatically cease if you spend more than 12 months continually in Australia.

Thank you, the worry for me is not knowing when it's getting issued so if I came over for s year & it still wasn't issued how long do you have to leave Oz before you can return? & after staying for 12 months can you only stay for three?

There is a parent visa thread which is a sticky at the top of the immigration forum and lots of parents are posting their timelines on here so you should be able to get a good idea of how long the visa is taking to process and find parents on there who have applied around the same time as you. For example I do know that they are currently processing applications around the end of July 2013.

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/77756-brand-new-pio-parents-visa-thread-804.html

Your best plan might be to wait around 12 months first and then go over on a 12 month visitor visa. If you inform DIBP that you are in Australia they will let you know when they are about to grant your visa so that you can arrange to go offshore, some usually go to Bali, Singapore or New Zealand. DIBP seem to know when you have passed through immigration wherever you have gone and will quite often grant the visa within a few hours.

Not sure about the 12 month, 3 month rule, but maybe you could post the query on the parent visa thread and there may be someone who can help with advice.

I was told you can't apply for a 143 onshore?

Take from:

https://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/143.aspx

This information tells you what you need to do to apply for a Contributory Parent visa (subclass 143).

All applications for a Contributory Parent visa (subclass 143) are currently processed in Australia. You can be in or outside of Australia at the time of lodging your application.

If you are in Australia, you can apply only if your temporary visa allows you to apply for another visa while you are in Australia. Applications are generally lodged by post or courier to the Parent Visa Centre. For further information see 'How to apply'.

You can be in Australia (but do not have to be) when the visa is decided if you are one of the following:

In all other cases, you must be outside Australia when the visa is decided.

I read that as being able to apply onshore, maybe it is referring to something else. Looks like it just lets you lodge while in Australia but have to be outside when it is decided.

Yes, this means that you can submit your application for the 143 while you are physically in Australia (unless you have a No Further Stay condition on your visitor visa). However, you would not be granted a bridging visa which would allow you to stay in Australia once your visitor visa comes to an end.

You do need to be offshore when the visa is granted.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Guys

My Father has been granted a contributory parent visa 173 from India in August 2013.Now he is coming to Australia tomorrow (26/04/2015).His current 173 expires on 18 August 2015.I was told he can apply 143 onshore.But I am bit confused about the Bridging Visa and will he get the medicare in continuation as he has got for 173 during on 173 visa?.What will happen after 18 August will he has to go back or wait onshore? Isn't it bit confusing as 143 is offshore visa,applied onshore?? How will a case officer gives a bridging visa for a ofshore visa applied onshore?

Can anybody help?

Archived