Entertaining 1 yr old

Bromney

The aquarium at darling harbour is excellent. Also canoeing from Audley boatshed in the RNP.

Both of those ( but wouldn`t take 1 year old on a canoe if it was just you and him lol) plus :

Taronga zoo - can easily spend the day and still not see everything, nice playground/fort at the children`s zoo, feeding farm animals

Royal botanical gardens - take some bread and you can feed the eels in the big pond

recently they had a fairy trail in there as well

Wildlife Sydney zoo - in Darling Harbour

Darling Harbour playground - massive, something for everyone, the water playground is brilliant

Ferry ride to anywhere :)

take him to the beach to get his hands dirty with sand, shells.....

there are excellent playgrounds pretty much everywhere

entertaining a 1 year old is soooo easy ( as seen now in comparison to older children)

Both of those ( but wouldn`t take 1 year old on a canoe if it was just you and him lol) plus :

Taronga zoo - can easily spend the day and still not see everything, nice playground/fort at the children`s zoo, feeding farm animals

Royal botanical gardens - take some bread and you can feed the eels in the big pond

recently they had a fairy trail in there as well

Wildlife Sydney zoo - in Darling Harbour

Darling Harbour playground - massive, something for everyone, the water playground is brilliant

Ferry ride to anywhere :)

take him to the beach to get his hands dirty with sand, shells.....

there are excellent playgrounds pretty much everywhere

entertaining a 1 year old is soooo easy ( as seen now in comparison to older children)

There are lots of lovely parks in Sydney where we took our children

I agree about the Sealife Sanctuary and water parks.There's quite a few water parks where little kids can prance around under water sprinklers and water fountains, we generally go to Pirrama Park in Pyrmont, quite low key and on the harbour with a nice cafe too. Water parks on a bigger scale include Darling Quarter Playground (as previously recommended) at Darling Harbour and Blaxland Riverside park in Homebush.

Tarrongo Zoo might be considered quite a big day out for a 14m old? I guess if s/he can nap in the pram it could work well. I wouldn't choose to take a little one there on a v.hot day though.

My favourite beach for toddlers is Bronte. There's an area for paddling / swimming without any waves as well as a nice play ground and on the weekends there's a little free train they can ride on that just goes round in a circle. The best beach for natural shade is Parsley Bay (it's a harbour beach), lots of grassy areas shaded by trees, and it also has a playground and cafe.

Archived